What is the meaning of Z28?

Discussion in 'Camaro History' started by SS201, Apr 30, 2009.

1. MikeyZ28SS

Digging up an old post here...

Why, because Z27 was the RPO Code used for the Super Sport package, and the next RPO code available was... Z28. And that is how simple a great Camaro, a legend was named.

2. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Fun post indeed. There was someone who posted after me, stating that stripes were standard on the Z28. They were not. They were an option and many customers opted for them. I will say that I have never seen a 67 or 67 without them, but then again, I have never seen an original car that is unrestored.

I have seen several barn find 69's that were left untouched, which did not have stripes, the ZL2 hood or the rear spoiler.

Also, just to clear the air, the 302 was the only engine available for the Z28 in the first gen Camaro. Anything else would have been an accident, which could have been possible.

MikeyZ28SS likes this.
  3. Driveitlikeustoleit

Z28 Is the Legend
    First The first Super Sport Camaro was the 1967 Camaro With a 327 4 speed manual 373 positraction .
    Second The Camaro Z28 and the Camaro Super Sport are different cars.
    There is no Z28 Super Sport .
    The Camaro Z28 Has And Will Always Be All GM Performance Parts.
    The Super Sports May have been based on the Z28 But all Z28 emblems were removed at factory .
    This may seem twisted at times , But is the general rule.
    The Camaro Super Sport is RPO Z27.
    Broke down GM is regulated by Federal Government Outside contractors not so much.
    Thats why some times aftermarket headers and such came in the trunk.
    The first transmission Am/transmission American Racing Was all american cars with no after market
    parts.
    The Definition of Z28 is Chevrolets transmission Am Sedan/back seat class Spec Race Car.
    Corvette Is sports car Spec Race Car/Front seat only.
    Definition of Super Sport Aftermarket Sport Coupe
    To capture the Hearts of the Young and Young at Heart Market.
    Created by Zora Arkus Duntov And Dan Cole CEO Pres Chevrolet.
    And Dan Cole Is also The Creator of the Small Block Chevy .
    And when ever you see Z28 /Super sport
    It means both cars.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  4. mullettcar

The Z28 came about as a means of making the new 1967 Chevy Camaro competitive in the SCCA transmission-Am races, a road racing series that was rapidly gaining popularity among spectators and auto manufacturers.

The series had a 305 cubic-inch displacement limit for V-8 engines. Ford Mustangs (289-cid) and Dodge Darts/Plymouth Barracudas (273-cid) were dominating the series in 1966, with the Shelby Mustang team winning the championship.

The smallest displacement Camaro V-8 was the 327. The next available displacement was the 283, although it wasn't offered in Camaros. A slick solution was to marry the two engines. By putting the 283's 3-inch-stroke crankshaft in the 4-inch-bore 327, a hybrid 302.4-inch engine emerged. This was an engine ideally suited to road racing that freely revved to 7,000 rpm. The 302 was rated at 290 horsepower, but it easily hit 350 on a dynamometer. Racing (blueprinted) versions were reportedly closer to 450 ponies.

Key 302 components included 11.0:1 forged pistons, a high-lift, solid-lifter camshaft (as used in 1964-65 Corvettes), an aluminum high-rise intake manifold, an 800-cfm Holley double-pumper, and double-hump cylinder heads with 2.02-inch intake and 1.60-inch exhaust valves.

In order to compete in the transmission-Am series, the Camaro needed to be homologated (offered as a regular consumer model). The SCCA production minimum was 1,000 units, but the Z28 managed to go racing even though only 602 cars were built in 1967. There was some fancy paperwork involving 350-cid Camaros as FIA (the international racing sanctioning body Federation Internationale de l'Automobile) Group I sedans, and qualifying the same cars as Group II (the transmission-Am cars) vehicles with the Z28 option.

Legendary Corvette racer/tuner Dick Guldstrand drove a Z28 to its first victory at the 1967 St. Jovite race in Quebec, Canada. There was a steep learning curve that first year, but by the end of the season the Z28s were gaining steadily. Mark Donohue won the last two races, which put the Camaro third behind Mustang (first) and Cougar (second). Camaros dominated the 1968 transmission-Am, winning 10 out of 13 races and the championship. Camaro claimed the championship again in 1969, winning 8 out of 12 races.

5. mullettcar

The fourth-generation Camaro did have a Z28 option, but no Rally Sport when they appeared in 1993. The RS re-appeared as a trim option in 1996, the same year that SS was revived as a special, ultra-high-performance Z28. It continues to be the moniker for the top-performance regular-production Camaro.

6. mullettcar

while i was looking this up i noticed a topic about how people say z28
    so do you say ZEE 28 or do you say ZED 28 ?
    fun fact this car was made in canada lol
    camaro patriot.jpg #ad

guess its better than buying USA souvenirs made in china lol

7. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I've never heard anyone in the states call it a ZED 28.

8. mullettcar

see here in canada we call it ZED 28 just like with the truck we call it ZED 71

4thand26 likes this.
  9. Driveitlikeustoleit

Twisted you should have put the zed in another discussion.
    I am a second gen muscle car inthusiast raised in the city and had family that worked for GM.
    I grew up riding in the back of rally sports super sports ETC.
    Had them all over my neighbor hood .
    I think it was in the 90s they started matching serial number cars and following build sheets making clones and stuff like that.
    all of a sudden you have rally sport super sports z28 super sports and every kind of thing anybody could make up,
    All of a sudden nobody knows what a Z28 package even was.
    Started out a duel exaust 4 speed manual 4 barrel carb positraction rear end hard ride springs front disk brakes
    tack speedo and a rear sway bar, a basic track car.
    68 rally sports were actually a road racing package.
    With a L48 350 that out muscled the 327 and 302 .
    The 302s that were famous were actualy custom reverse flow cooling and the heads were modified
    to like 12 degree valves by grinding them out and epoxying them to hold valve seats at different angles.
    Basically the first sb2 racing engine.
    that reapeared in 78 Nascar engines .
    Kind of like angle cutting heads.
    Any ways go to the chevy dealer and you will see the first GM sanctioned Z28 Super Sport Ever .
    It says so Right in the pamplet on the podium in front of the car but that was a couple months ago in 2018.
    And you do so at your own risk cause when I did there was 14 of the newest vettes and camaros .
    The wildest cars I have ever seen And big fat price tags to go with .
    Its like Hurst.
    Hurst has built almost all floor linkages since the beginning .
    but couldnt put Hurst
    name on the car until gm sanctioned the high performance Hurst 442.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  10. mullettcar

so do you say zee28 or zed28 lol

11. mullettcar

now i looked up some old z28 camaro tv commercials and they all said zee28
    now i didnt find any canadian ones to see what they said.
    but i guess you wouldnt call zz top zed zed top now would you lol

12. Driveitlikeustoleit

I call it ZREX LOL
    Zed was the character in pulp fiction That every body wanted Bruce Willis to chop up in little peices with his Samuri sword.LOL
    And we dont associate his kind with our camaros.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    4thand26 likes this.
  13. Driveitlikeustoleit

You know why we put all that crome on Cadillacs?
    To keep the ZEDS out of the Camaros!
    HA HAH HA

14. Driveitlikeustoleit

Z28 In 96-97 Means faster than the Super Sport.LOL
    After much investigating I found that both the Fire bird And the Camaro got a better flowing muffler.
    The Z28 got a Hooker Superformance/ The Firebird got A flowmaster.
    And with the 561 heads made 330 horse power At the fly wheel.
    And that is where they got the 330 horsepower data for the Lt4 ,
    they used the dyno results from the Z28.
    We all know the LT4 was 350 Plus.
    The 97 Camaro Super Sport went to Indianapolis as a pace car and the engine got blue printed .
    put on a fly wheel dyno with the SLP exaust Two on Left .
    They looked at each other and one ran to Summit for another muffler and K&N cold air intake.
    And the other was cutting off the SLP muffler.
    I dont know what muffler they put on .
    Then their LT1 Flywheel dyno got 320 horse power.
    I quote The freaks That dyno 240 horse power to the ground.
    So when you say the stock Super Sport is king ,
    I say mabey The King of Bling.LOL
    Ive already put that notch in my belt.
    LT1ss, LS1ss, 6.2 LT4corvette
    All thats left is the 5.7 LT4ss
    And history tends to repeat itself.
    Some may say its the driver
    I say The Z28 Will catch the bat out of h#ll.