Stereo Help

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by fivelitertpi, Jan 28, 2003.

1. ace69247no13

looks like i am going to get the one for the 12's after all:D :D :D

2. DosJ_95Z

aww nevermind man, i jus made my own :) it was pretty easy.

3. fivelitertpi

4. Mondokid

I have a 2002 Z28 with the Monsoon system (non-convertible), and would like to make some changes to the stereo. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring schematic, or diagram, as well as the location and size of all the speakers and amp in this system?

Damn, no love on this question. Got no response, and when the next post was added, it was answered the next day. Damn.

5. inutero

fivelitertpi, I have a question. I have a 95 Z, I installed an Alpine cd player, and I ran that signal to the 2 front Bose speakers..... I ran it through the little amp behind each front speaker, so it's getting the signal from the cd player, then amplifying it even more when it goes through the little bose amp. Is this bad for the cd player? I also have two 12" JBL's in the back hooked up to a 400 watt American Pro amp. Well I got that amp for christmas a couple years ago, and my parents didn't know that the Peak is 400, and it's really 170 RMS. but anyways, how much can my speakers handle? I know JBL's are some of the best speakers out there. I'm thinking about getting a good JBL amy to hook up to the 2 12's, and getting 2 sony xplodes to replace the Bose speakers in the doors, and running the 170 watt american pro to them. will all that work?

6. fivelitertpi

No, your current config won't harm your cd player, although the bose amps may not last that long, they are very input picky. Replacing the speakers and using the 170W amp for them sounds great. Your 12's should easily be able to handle 125-150W each, some can handle much more. With the JBL name I wouldn't be afraid to feed them 150W each. The rule I use for picking a sub amp is the "times two" rule. If your regular speakers see roughly 200 watts(say 50 x 4), then 200W times two is 400W. This rule usually lends to a well balanced system with neither the bass or highs overpowering each other. I hope that made sense.

7. inutero

alright thanks bro.

8. Louvit Staff Alumni

fiveliter ...
    How bout a little info on a 3 speaker Bose in a 93 z Is there any way to add rear seat speakers the holes are there but no speakers, I just found out. For about a year I thought is was a 5 speaker system.

9. fivelitertpi

They fooled ya huh? You're not alone. You can add two rear speakers but you will need a seperate amplifier for them. Most factory amplified systems do not have power in the head unit for speakers to be driven, they are usually line out only for the amplifiers. Of course, with this, I am assuming you are using the factory head unit. If you have an aftermaket radio, upgrading your system is much easier.

10. inutero

seriously, I wouldn't put speakers in those 2 middle holes. they are right beside the heads of people sitting in the back seats, and just turning it up a little bit will blast their ears out.

11. Louvit Staff Alumni

Thanks for the info .. yes, they did fool me..it is the factory head unit also and I just somehow lost a knob off it ,it''s just gone!!!!

p.s no one sits in the back it's usually just littl ol me in the car we use the durango for family stuff

12. fivelitertpi

Yep. I've only ever had groceries in the backseat of my Z. The minivan(gulp) is for the family outings. The rear speakers will even be too loud for those up front. You will find yourself adjusting fader and/or amp gain control to have them sound just right.

13. Louvit Staff Alumni

Hey fiveltr I found the knob it was under the seat. Another question Why does the volume on my bose go down to zero and the fade control display goes nuts sometimes all by itself.

14. fivelitertpi

Crazy volume & fader? Could be a problem with the speed sensitive volume control, I'm unsure if your year had that or not. In any event, if this problem hinders regular use of the radio, your radio is trying to tell you something - it's time for it's dirtnap.

15. 93_Z28racer

i was wondering if you or any one you know can fix a cd player this is the deal it is a bose cd player worked fine i let the car sit for the winter 4 months got in tried to put in a cd and it just clicks and won't take it in. thanks

16. fivelitertpi

I do not fix them myself. If it worked fine before storing the car, makes me think that it is because of temperature swing and may be a combination of dust and/or dew causing a lens or load misread. Before you go tuneless and send it into the shop, I would pick up a can of compressed air from an office supply store(one with a little stick on it like WD40) and give it a couple of controlled, gentle bursts.

17. KYWes

Pioneer question

Do you have any experience mounting the Pioneer DEHP77DH in the early 4th gen Camaros. 1995 to be specific. This is their din and a half model. I know it will physically fit the opening in the dash I am wondering how well it fits into the bezel around the radio on this car.

TIA

18. fivelitertpi

I do not have experience with that radio in particular. It should fit and look fine. That radio is designed for GM/Chrysler vehicles, and it is designed to mount like a factory radio without an install kit. If there are slight fitment issues, they can be solved easily with a fine file and plastic dye, for the bezel of course.

19. KYWes

Ok thanks. The fit is why I chose this one. I'm not a huge car stereo person but my stock unit is bad and I need to replace with something. I prefer the 1.5 din rather than mess with a kit again since my needs aren't great. Thanks again.

20. fivelitertpi

You're welcome. The custom fit din and a halfs are really nice, you don't have to mess with the unattractive looking install kits for the regular din radios.