Ryatt's car detailing 101

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 20, 2005.

1. guitarisawesome

haha....i've done that before when i cleaned cars with other members phantompooper, uLs1a and Firechickenofdoom. Only once, but it did work pretty well as long as the air wasn't hot. :thumbsup::chuckles:

2. 96CamaroSS

I could swear I posted in here recommending Skull Shine from Torco racing but I cant seem to find my post did it get deleted or what?

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yup, it got pulled. Free advertising is a no, no if you are or work in conjunction with a distributor. If you are going to advertise skull shine and offer to place orders for the products, you will want to talk to MasterZ or FANTA-Z (site administrators) about sponsorship rates.

4. 96CamaroSS

Oh ok sorry about that. It was more of a recommendation then a distributing act.

5. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Cool, right on. I just have to make the formal announcement when a post appears to be aimed at advertising, to protect our sponsors ;) Thanks for the tip and the recommendation.

6. techstdnt08

Any dish detergent can mess with the paint quality on the car. Its the different chemicals in the soap. You should only use soap that they make specifically for auto detailers. 3m....etc...

7. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Dawn detergent used about once a year will not harm the car if used sparingly and only if you are transitioning to a new wax system and need to strip off the old stuff.

8. techstdnt08

once a year is ok but in my opinion i still wouldnt push it with that. there are other ways to cut the old stuff off.

9. techstdnt08

And end up with a better shine if thats what you are looking for (and of course for us gear heads thats what we want right?)

10. NevadasCrimson

engine detailing write up next :]

11. techstdnt08

never had to deal with detailing the engine bay and having to worry about an opti. All I can say is be careful not to get it wet.

12. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

I will be doing an engine detail writeup complete with pics real soon when I get to work on my girlfriends '02-SS. I should have that done by like March-ish.

13. abiggerjimjr

I hope someone didn't already ask this in the 3 million other replies, but besides helping the wax come off like a dream (so easy!!):clap:, is there any other benefits of applying and removing wax this way?

14. EsCrasston

From what i have heard it has to do with the way the sun and light reflects off of the paint? I could be way off base though so don't quote me on it! haha

15. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

It keeps it to where you do not need to worry about swirling the paint.

16. Z-girl

Wow, thank you! As a newcomer who needs to learn everything, I really appreciate this info! Question please - "everyone" is telling me not to get the engine wet. Is it safe for a rookie who is not very mechanically inclined to do this level of detailing, or am I safer taking it to a shop? (and if anyone has recommended shops in Charleston SC please fire away.)

Also, right after we got the car in 94, Roy waxed it with something that was apparently not recommended. We ended up with a lot of swirls in the paint. Is it fixable w/o repainting? Again, how hard is it, or am I better with a detail shop?

Thanks so much!

17. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Tammy, you are correct, you do not want to get the engine wet in front because of the opti-spark, you have to be very careful when detailing the engine.

As for swirls, you can totally fix that right up. I would invest in a Porter Cable kit and gently smooth out the swirls with that.

18. 95z28smurf

why do u add a tablespoon of olive oil

19. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

The olive oil replenishes lost oil in the paint and keeps it nice and elastic.

20. 95z28smurf

oh ok i got u now