Ryatt's car detailing 101

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Ask anyone I know, they will tell you, "don't bug Rick when he's detailing his car, cause he's making love to it LOL!!" The effects are the same aren't they, it takes a long time, you work each part, your partner glows when you are done, and you are so sore you can't move for 4 days LOL!!! You tell me what the difference is???

2. z28camarocarri

the difference is..... well.....

yeah i got nothing

3. josh6780

well, I ment after the wax is off. I put mine on thin. But I have always heard the more you buff it the shiner it gets. I didn't know if that was true. And I am not talking about using a buffer. just hand rubbing.

4. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Thats a negative sir. Once the wax is off, and whatis left on the car is on there, the only thing you can do make it shinier would be to add another coat, like with Zaino, or Ultra Car Care or use a spray detailer with Gloss Enhancer such as Zaino Z6 or Z8. Anything else is just contributing to a worn spiral rotator cuff.

5. josh6780

oh in that case how does a buffer help bring the shine back to old paint? You only buff off the wax with a buffer correct. Or do you buff on and off.

And how much time do you spend rubbing your wax in? Does it matter?

6. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

OK you are confusing me again, are you talking about a machine buffer, or hand wax? Because like I have said before probaby once or twice, keep the buffer machine away from a car, you really need to be trained on how to use one and is really not something that the average person learns to use by trial and error. Machine buffing or polishing can and will ruin a finish if you are not careful. Now if you are using a random orbital polisher then you are ok as those are pretty user friendly and will not harm the finish unless you really try.

When appplying wax, the goal is not to grind in into the surface, rather just gently get onto the surface unformly.

7. josh6780

ok sorry for confusing you. I don't use buffers. I was trying to create and example for my question. and all my question is. How much time do you spend rubbing the wax into the paint. not how much pressure to apply. Sorry for the confusion.

8. BlackY2kZ28

i use a min or two thats it

9. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Well, I answered it both ways.

10. josh6780

how long should I wait in between applying more than one coat.

11. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Unless you are using Zaino or Ultra, there is no benefit in layers of wax.

12. josh6780

well I use both those brands. So, how long should I wait?

oh, and is there a polish or something for alloy wheels? Mine I think are starting to need some help.

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Well witheither of the above mentioned you can put them on right after you take them off, I usually use Z8 gloss enhancer between coats to magnify the shine and for wheels, that are clear coated, I just use NXT polish, and if the wheels are polished aluminum or chrome, I use Ultra Car Care metal polish.

14. josh6780

hwo do I know if my wheels are polished aluminum or clear coated?

15. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

you have regular salad shooters right? If so, they are clear coated wheels.

16. josh6780

ok thanks.

17. josh6780

ok, got another question for you rick.

My friends dad has a corvette. I think it is a 2005. Anyway. He told me it had a something called a poly coat on it. Which it is not supposed to be waxed. Now I was feeling the paint. And feels like sandpaper. The car looks good though. But What is this polly coat. And why cannot you not wax it?

18. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

There is no such thing as a poly coat, it's just a scam that car washes sell people, they say that it is supposed to protect the car from rust etc. It has no rust inhibiting properties at all, the vette needs a clay wash and a good paint cleaner followed by a good sealer and carnuba.

19. josh6780

so what do you mean by sealer? I was just going to give it a clay wash and use ultra car care on it.

20. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Thats all you need because Ultra Car Care's wax is a sealer with carnuba.