Ryatt's car detailing 101

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Chris52

ooo It's so shiney now. ^____^ Took like 2 and a half hours though. -.-

2. Camaro00ss

My SS is black......so how do you get rid of swirl marks? oh and let me tell you about chamois!!! I used it on my car and I guess your supposed to wash them first? well I didn't know that and i left an oil slick all over the car!!!:rant: It looked horrible!! So it was the first and last time I will EVER use one!!!

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Thats why I don't use a chamois, that and they pull the oil out of the finish. If you are going to use anything, use an Absorber sythetic chamois or two large Cannon or Fieldcrest bath towels to do the job.

To revive black paint, I would foam glaze the finish with 3M Foam Pad Machining glaze then wash the car and give it 2-3 coats of Zaino Z5 swirl remover , then 3 coats of Z2 polish and viola, that baby will hurt to look at it because it will be so shiny!

4. josh6780

Does any buffing do just has well has a buffer?

5. 95 Camaro Z28

I'm going to do the whole sha-bang on my car soon. Well, its supposed to rain the next 7 out of 10 days here and its already been raining for the last 4!! But ones we get a break in the weather I'm gunna wash her all up.

Rick, do you know any good way to get ride of scratched? I have a kinda ugly scrape on the drivers side front fender. Happened when the previous owner had the car. I've tried a few rubbing compounds and nothing has helped!!

Do you think if i take it to Turtle wax then can buff it out??

6. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

If the scratches are deep then they may need to be refinished. You can always try to gently color sand the area with 2000g sand paper then buff it with some Meguiars Power Cleaner on a wool cutting wheel, then use a foam pad with some 3M Perfect it 3000 and then finally use a foam glaze applied with a foam glazing pad.

7. josh6780

really? you can actually sand paint? And use those methods to get a scratch out without repainting it?

8. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Absolutely! I don't recommend you practice on your car, but find some beater to practice on, or a used fender or something. You have to remember that when car is refinished, it has to be color sanded, a method that involves using fine grade sand paper to level the surface flat before it is polished to look like glass.

9. josh6780

oh, Well I am defently going to start practicing stuff like that then. Me and my friend are going to start a car washing business and detailing. This summer. Talk about a good start of getting business if I could just take a scratch out of someones paint when I brought it back from being detailed.

10. josh6780

Does hand buffing do just as well has using a buffer?

11. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

I don't recommend doing this to customer cars unless it is something you have personally painted. OEM clear coat is piss thin and can be burned through with just a few strokes of 1500g sandpaper and unless you want to eat a paint job, I say just stick to washing them and everything will be fine.

12. josh6780

Does hand buffing do just at well I a buffer????????

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

When you color sand and buff, you need a variable speed polisher to apply the polish and create enough heat and friction for the compound to do its work. For regular poilshes and wax, going by hand is the best method.

14. josh6780

So How much longer does it take to buff it by hand other than using a buffer?

15. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

It won't come out by hand, your arms cannot create enough friction to do the job that a variable speed polisher can do when you color sand and polish.

16. josh6780

no no no, ha! I am just talking about waxing the car period. Does a buffer make a diffrence other than just a hand wax?

17. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Waxing should be done by hand because if i have not said it before, I will say it again. "When one is waxing thier car, it's like making love to woman, or if your a chick, then making love to guy, you want to take your time and go over every inch nice and slowly, and in the end the car will litterally bask in the afterglow."

18. josh6780

how much time do you spend hand rubbing your car after takeing the wax off?

19. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

You don't stop until all the wax is off. If you are having problems taking it off, you might be caking it on too much, you just want enough to cover the surface and not be globbed on there. Take a look at the pics of my white car in the gallery, you will see some pics of it with wax on, you will see that the wax is definetly there, but not caked on to the point that I will be wiping it off for hours.

20. z28camarocarri

i love how you made waxing a car sexual rick. lol. next time i make love to someone (if ever lol) im gonna be like hey wanna wax??!!? ;)