Ryatt's car detailing 101

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 20, 2005.

1. digi7al ph0enix Staff Alumni

Well the idea, since beretta's are known for a cracking dash, and I had one without, was to prevent it from happening. Obviously it didn't work. :mad:

2. ZZTopless

Yeah, I had two different Sunbirds that did the same thing. The vinyl part of the dash also started to separate from the plastic where it meets the stereo area. What a mess. Looking back, most of the problems could probably be contributed to the use of Armorall. :duh: Now I know better. Thanks Ryatt! :)

3. 105

waxing

i thought for the sides of the car you were supposed to put wax on with a side to side motion and buff it off with an up and down motion. are you sure rick?

4. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

105, it really doens't matter which way, you can reverse the process, the key thing is to avoid using circular motions alltogether. :)

5. Fallen_Angel

I just wanted to add something to what Ryatt has listed as far as uses for the clay bar. I have a 69 camaro and a 69 mustang, both just out of paint and being put back together. The windows had horrible overspray, and I was reluctant to use lacquer thinner on the windows so close to a fresh paint job to remove it. We used the clay bar on the windows and it got rid of the overspray! Did a great job!

6. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Clay is actually the best thing to remove overspray from glass, thinner will do but it strips the oil out of the glass, prematurely aging it.

7. Jimbo1221

Ryatt, i agree with you 100%, but the question that i have always wondered, is...Why not do circles when waxing, and a side-to-side/up-and-down motion for waxing? because i havent heard any negatives to using just circles.

8. zeeyaa96

how do keep mold from growing around the back deck lid and the drain slots, I have this problem every winter about every 3 months or so I have to clean all the mold off of the deck lid?

9. Overdrive

Excellent EXCELLENT post, Ryatt. I've printed it and it is my first order of business when I get my car repainted.

I do have a question though: You talked about water getting caught on the hatch...how does that happen? I've got a 3rd Gen, and I can't see how the water would not drain...unless you have a spoiler I guess, which I do. Would you please explain to me, it's not that I doubt you, I'm just trying to see how it could happen. Also, is there any other shampoo that you would say is as good for the car as Pantene? Not trying to be cheap, just want to know about other alternatives if there are any in case I'm in a pinch.

10. Phantompooper Staff Alumni

Heh, I already know Rick's gonna say nothing compares with Pantene.

11. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

The Phantom beat me to that one, and the reason that you don't want to use a cheap grade shampoo is because of its acid content. Pantene has vitamins in it and is very mild on the paint much like your hair. If you are in a pinch, just use some regular car soap but add a table spoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to it.

As far as why you want to avoid circles. Circulat motions create swirls in the finish that are sometimes a real chore to get out, this is why you go up and down, side to side, thus eliminating the swirl factor.

12. Jimbo1221

thanks man!

13. sks52587

another thing that works well for windows and chrome is steel wool. works wonders (DO NOT USE ON PAINT, haha)

14. Overdrive

I get you, Ryatt, but I meant are there any other shampoos you know of that are comparable to Pantene, so that if for whatever reason I can't find Pantene I can get the other one. Also, I asked about water on the hatch of a 3rd Gen and how it could collect on there. Is it only on 3rd Gens with spoilers?

15. justinakajuice

I did the Pantene bath to the Z and it stayed shiny/clean longer than average. It's due for another one here in about half an hour. How much shampoo do you put in the bucket? I put a gallon of water and a handfull of shampoo and it seemed a bit much. You are right about the car smelling better too! lol

If I used Selson Blue, will my scratches come out!!!? Does Pert take out dings?!?!

16. Overdrive

:rotflmao: If anyone knows, it's Rick.

17. eddiejan

great looking car/// thks for the info.

18. en.lil

everyone here needs a 'california water blade' for squeegee action after washing. it will get the water all off without scratching. theyre awesome.

mike

19. TylerDurden28

Hey i finally read the clay part, thanks for the heads up Rick, next time i get money im for sure going to get my T-bar taken care of.

20. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Make sure you clay the whole car Tyler.