Is Your Optispark Failing ?

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by MoffZ28, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Lyle A Staff Alumni

Yeah, I'm thinking fuel pump also.

2. superZ28ishere

if it is the fuel pump why does it do it after it sits for a while and not all the time , the car will usually fire right up in the morning after it sits all nite but it seems to have the problem like after it has sat for a hour or so, less then a hour fires right up more then like 4 0r 5 hrs fires rite up , its only in the couple hour time frame that it does this.

3. Lyle A Staff Alumni

Just another thing to consider along with the regulator. Put a pressure guage on it and see if it bleeds down and how long it takes.

4. THE JOKER

thanks alot moff yo've really helped me

5. MoffZ28

No Prob Joker. Shalom Dude.

6. El Es Juan

So, ok is the fuel pump supposed to make any sound at all in the back? I can hear a whining sound from my pump! When I dont let my pump prime it takes longer to start the car!( except when warm) Also when i unplugged the vacum line to the FPR the idle stayed the same....it isn't supposed to do that!! What is going on?
    P.s where can I get one of those fule pressure tester thingies? How much? Thanks Guys!

7. MoffZ28

When you turn on the key you will hear the electric pump on the electric fuel pump make a spinning up sound as it pressurizes the system...THIS IS NORMAL. It will continue until the entire sytem is pressurized. The fuel pressure tester meter thing a ma jig is available at most any parts store The ADJUSTABLE fuel pressure regulators on available online from many sources. You must purchase a fuel disconnect tool to get the fuel lines loos from the fuel rail ontop of the intake manifold.

Where does it show the vacuum line from the FPR going to, or coming from, in your manual ???

And how old is your OPTI "z28"94 ?? That is the question...

8. El Es Juan

Woah moff you really detailed, give it to me in a dumbed down version hehe. Well you know that line going to that thing in the back of the intake? It is a line that runs fuel, well, when i disconnect it, the idle is supposed to raise, mine stays the same! And how long does it take to pressurize the system cuz mine is on for ever!!! Also how loud is it supposed to be, because mine is a little louder than when you leave your stereo on, but with volume all the way down...

9. MoffZ28

With fuel-injected vehicles, regular fuel filter changes can help extend the life of the electric fuel pump. It's best to replace the filter every two years or 24,000 miles. A contaminated filter can restrict fuel flow from the electric fuel pump, eventually taking a toll on its life. You can also help protect the pump by keeping the tank at least ? full at all times. Since fuel cools the pump, having plenty of fuel in the tank helps keep the pump from getting too warm, which could damage it. Another good reason to keep the gas tank at least ? full is to reduce the chances of sediment pick-up at the fuel pump inlet strainer. A restricted strainer can starve the pump, causing it to overheat and fail. If you own a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury vehicle, check your owner?s manual for the location of the fuel pump shut-off switch. This switch is designed to electrically disconnect the fuel pump in the event of an accident. Sometimes, an abrupt jarring of your car may be enough to cause this switch to open. It?s good to know where the switch is so you can try resetting it if your car does not start. A faulty electric fuel pump can cause various symptoms including a loud pump whine, engine no-start, hesitation, poor performance and stalling. If your car demonstrates any of these performance problems, have it checked out by a qualified service technician. Replacing the fuel pump generally involves removal of the fuel tank.

10. El Es Juan

You can cut through the tank, and we have a cut off switch? my car has been in a crash, right rear was hit pretty bad... Where is the switch?

11. mdstud

There is no inertia switch that I'm aware of on these. Also I think you meant you cut through the trunk not the tank lol.

12. hotcamaro

I think the same thing is happening to mine. I know I have 6 out of the 11 symptoms mentioned. I'm going to look into it to be sure but I know my coolent is leaking. I just rebuilt my transmission and cant tell the difference it made because the car wont go passed 3000 rpm or so. The transmission does shift much better though.

13. El Es Juan

Well, then you mean you dont cut through the tank? If you cut through the trunk you will be there? Cool! Oh I see, you cut through there, then unscrew the pump out....

14. Lyle A Staff Alumni

If you do a search on "fuel pump cut out method" you will see how it is done. I did mine that way and it only took a couple hours to do the complete replacement.

15. El Es Juan

Ok thanks lyle

16. rolemodel

I love how I have every one of those symptoms.

17. Ricky_Fitness

I can identify with about half of those. So eventually I will have to replace it. Are there any really good alternatives to the optispark other than an "opti-direct" system?

18. MoffZ28

Is that like Delteq coils ???

There are alternatives. Don't know how good they are but they are expensive.

19. peteracer

opti spark? whats that sounds like a pain in the ass, my 97 z/28 has DIS baby yeah

20. Lyle A Staff Alumni

You still have an opti spark mounted even if it's only used for the optical sensor. There isn't any system available that comletely replaces it, yet.