Is Your Optispark Failing ?

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by MoffZ28, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Raquelle

I have the same problem (93/Z28/86K) but no codes are pulling - recently replaced so many parts my head is swirling - mine sat about two years b/c the previous owner didn't want to replace the fuel pump. The car was a steal, but now I'm wondering...

2. MoffZ28

Where can you buy a brand new opti for $200 ???

The AC Delco cap and rotor are rebuilt? How do you know this for a fact?

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

HMMMMMMM????..... What is common to every cylinder regarding fire. The coil? Yes they all share that, but it is brand new.
    The ICM? Yes, but it has been replaced as well.

What's left besides the optispark ? That's where my money's going.

3. mdstud

Well Dal Slabaugh is who/where I got mine for $200, brand new complete opti. The last time I was shopping for an opti I called to get prices... If I remember correct it was a lifetime warranty on the cap and rotor but it was a reman. Only one way to find out, call and ask.

4. MoffZ28

Was it a vented one ?

5. mdstud

Ya Im only talking about vented, the non-vented are more expensive.

6. rhaig

urrghh the dreaded opti-crap! who was the engineering wizard who put a water pump and a vital ignition component next to each other?!

7. Turboxtreme

If my electric water pump that i put in was leaking could it affect the opti-spark?? Because it sometimes takes a bit to crank, and it feels like its not running like it should. Any ideas??

8. Lyle A Staff Alumni

Yes it could. Check your plugs and wires first. Also scan the PCM.

9. roastm

I Live In Maine And I Go Through This Every April, ( Eaven Though My Baby Never Sees Anything Under 55 Degrees ) Put Dry Gas In The Tank And Get The Car In Some Place Worm 4 A Cuple Days And 'wala' Like New. Your Car Is Pissed At You And You Are Paying 4 It :)

10. southernx201

Hello,
    I'm new to the group and need some help with my OptiSpark. I changed the water pump when it blew on my LT1 and apparently was not careful enough to prevent water from getting in my optispark (like a moron, I cleaned the front of the block while the water pump was off). Now, I missing on what appears to be #1 and #2. Is my GM optispark ruined? Does anyone know about the new MSD "distributor cap and rotor kit sold for about $150 in Jeg's? Is that kit a direct swap for the factory optispark, or do I need more stuff? Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy
    94 Z

11. Turboxtreme

ok where exactly is the opti-spark distributor located. Cause my mechanic prob doesnt know what im talking about when i say opti-spark. So if anyone can help it would help me out a lot. Thanks again

12. Lyle A Staff Alumni

On the front of the engine below the water pump.

13. mdstud

If your mechanic doesn't know where the distributor is then I'd advise going somewhere else...

14. al3858

Right on. lol

15. SGTBuD

Question.. Correct me if im wrong ( cuz is seems like i am ) but wouldnt a vented opti be better?

After reading this whole thing i feel like an idiot. About 5 years ago my opti went out on my way to texas.. had to get it fixed at the chevy dealer but before i did i tried to find an opti for a cheaper price... couldnt, so i ended up pay around 600 bucks for mine. Damn If i would have only known then what i know now.

16. Lyle A Staff Alumni

To switch to vented you have to change more than just the opti.

17. MoffZ28

18. MoffZ28

http://shbox.com/ci/opti_vent.jpg

This shows how the 2 vent hoses are routed, one goes to the elbow and the other to the side of the intake manifold by the pcv valve.

It also shows the water pump directly above the opti right where the "Rocket Scientist's" designed it to go.

The Meziere electric water pump plugs up the weep hole with an insert. There is no weep hole in this scenario.

If you take the time to seal the opti with high temp RTV all around the peripheral then there's no way water can get in there.

I have rebuilt mine 3 times in 121,000 miles. Not for water damage, just burned up contacts.

19. superZ28ishere

what would some other symptoms of the car having extended crank time to start be besides opti?I just changed my opti, plugs and wires and coil and my car still seems to take a min to start when cold, once warmed up it will fire right back up, but after it sits for a few hrs it doesnt wanna start right up u either have to let off and crank again then it usually starts right up or give it a little gas, i was for sure it was the opti doin this but when the opti finally did go bad and i replaced it, still doin it!

20. mdstud

Put a fuel pressure guage on it and see what its at. Also try priming the fuel lines like 3 or 4 clicks before attempting to crank it and see if it starts. One other test is pull the gas cap off and try to start it when you know it will act up and see what happens.