Is Your Optispark Failing ?

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by MoffZ28, Nov 10, 2004.

1. mdstud

lol did ya pull those codes? and moff curious but if your going to go through that much headache of replacing the opti than why not replace it with a brand new part for $200 that comes with the whole distributor? I'm almost positive they are remanufactured cap and rotors.

2. lcnvz28

well as of now i cant really pull codes, cause i dont have a diagnostic

3. 94 convertible

I've got a brand new rotor. It works great. Two turns to start everytime. I have had a couple backfires but no shutting off. The water pump went leaking and destroyed my original one.
    94 z28 convertible, all stock

4. lcnvz28

ic so if my opti/ ignition components got damp like i think, do you think that a spirited drive will clear it up?

5. mdstud

not likely but it is possible. Also I'd recommend getting a cheap code reader. It needs to be obd1 capable with an obd2 style connecter. www.autoxray.com is where I went.

6. lcnvz28

so a "trippin" opti will set off codes, or will damp ignition components set off codes also ?

7. Lyle A Staff Alumni

Only if it affects the Optical pick up. If it's arc tracking, it won't set off codes.

8. lcnvz28

so now wats arc tracking, well even better yet lol, what do you think my probem is if the car vibrates from 2k to about 4k, and the car sits a real lot it has 30k on it, and after letting it sit a few months, and after cleaning my motor w/ water and engine de greaser, my car just developed this problem, it didnt do this wen i bought it.

9. lcnvz28

?????????????? :wave:

10. Lyle A Staff Alumni

Arc tracking is when your spark follows the path of least resistance to a terminal it's not supposed to go to or to ground some how. Moisture and carbon can cause that.

11. lcnvz28

ic ic, thanks, now how would i go about fixing that?

12. Lyle A Staff Alumni

Replace the opti if that what the problem is. Make sure your plug wires and the simple stuff is ok first.

13. lcnvz28

ic ic so arc tracking is a problem inside of the opti?

14. mdstud

Well yes its a problem in any distributor, but mostly in the correct a cap design, but anywho it sounds like its the opti since you said you washed the engine bay with water :duh: :nono:

15. lcnvz28

ya that was done a few months ago , and its still running rough, is there any way i can test to confirm its the distributer, beside scan for codes?

16. mdstud

No not really unless you have a timing light.

17. lcnvz28

ok, now do you think that i will have to replace the whole distributor, or is there a way of cleaning it, or replacing certain parts?

18. lcnvz28

??????also how much am i lookin at?

19. lcnvz28

?????????????????????????????

20. al3858

Give one of these guys a call for your opti:

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295 (or 850-243-8826 - direct parts dept ph #)
    [email][email protected][/email]
    Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
    http://samtaylor.com/html/parts.html

or

Dal Slabaugh: 877-448-5451
    [email][email protected][/email]
    VanDevere Buick/Pontiac/Olds, Akron, OH
    http://vandevere.com

They will have about the best prices around for alot of your original replacement parts. I would not skimp on remanufactured parts for something as difficult to get at as an opti... but on other parts, I would compare their prices with your local parts supplier.

As for your water problem... I would do the most simple stuff first. It could be any connection on your engine compartment between the computer and hte opti as well as the opti.

So what I would do is grab a can of silicone spray and disconnect each connector and spray a bit on both sides and reconnect. This is much easier to do than replacing the opti. It is a gamble... but it could fix your problem. It surely won't hurt... it will only water proof your harness.

If you do find that your opti is bad... I would spray the exterior with that silicone upon installation to repel any water. You can also rub a fine layer of silicone dielectric grease to the opti cap gasket to help as well. Some people go so far as to use silicone RTV to seal up the opti. (I personally feel that is an overkill and is also hurting the opti from holding in the condensation from cooling down each night... but that is my opinion, take it for what you will.)