I have a serious paint problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by blondy97, May 2, 2006.

1. blondy97

I called my mechanic today, he agrees that the guy was giving me a bunch of bull poop. I am bringing her in to get break pads on Wed. He said he would look at it and send me to HIS GUY. My mechanic (Mario) restores classic muscle cars on the side. If it's as bad as I say, he said that I might have legal recourse. I am so POed that I didn't ask him for his guy to begin with! Live and learn. Mario also doesn't understand why I would have to wait so long for the pin stripe guy to hand letter the CAMARO. If it were a good shop they would have more than one person that could do it. God I feel so dumb!!! :( Will post photos soon. Rick thanks for your offer. You are very sweet! I think Mario will give me the back up I need in what ever I end up doing. Believe me, if you lived closer, I would have taken you with me to pick up the car! All you guys are the best! ;)

2. squirrelishere

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that about your car. That's not good service if they can't even finish the letters in the back. Took me 10 mins to put the decals in there, it has to be easier with painting them on. I do hope your guy Mario can fix it or help you with the situation.

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Not a problem Monika, I'm here if you need me and my offer still stands if you need the panel done. It's a simple enough part to do I don't know why they had such a problem with it.

4. blondy97

Here are the photos. You can't see the problem areas unfourtunately. (except on the CAMARO part) It's funny, Mike the owner of the paint shop said that they tried to touch up the CAMARO to make it look better! HA, not so much!! I couldn't get too close to the car with out it getting too blurry. You can however see the parts that were fixed. Not too bad. The first 3 photos are some of the pending problem areas and the last 2 are what I think doesn't look too bad that used to. I will see Mario tomarrow and I will let you know what he says. What friggen mess! Stay tuned.

5. Jpack

There would be no way I would ever in a million years except that. I think a blind person could see that. That shop should just close it's doors. I am really sorry that that happened to you.

6. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

It's not perfect, but it's a little better than before, just slightly. I agree with Jim, if you can't do quality work, there's no point in doing anything.

7. blondy97

Just a short update... I took the car to my mechanic Mario and he was shocked by the photos I had, absolutely agreed that it was a bad job. Not that I thought he wouldn't think that. He did think the addition of the pearl was very cool. He gave me his paint guys number and I am going to see if I can get an apointment fairly soon. I hate driving around with the lettering done so poorly! I also have to get it done before the GM Nationals in Carlisle PA. I entered in the part of the show where the public gets to vote, not the judges. She's not ready for serious judging yet, still needs new t-tops (they are warped), new leather on the back seats (the leather is cracking, the front seat were done a couple of years ago) and reseal the back window (the plastic is cracking and breaking off around it) I will let you know what happens next. :)

8. blondy97

OH YEAH I FORGOT... the name of the shop in Bensalem, PA near Philly is Knights Collison Center. DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!! Should I post this in the Northeast section of this website?

9. Vatchy

How did your t-tops get warped? I thought they were glass.

10. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yeah, how did your t-tops get warped? Are you sure you don't have frame twist?

11. blondy97

The dopes that owned the car before me did it. The part of the T that is plastic or rubber around the glass is warped. I am guessing that they did it by trying to stuff the T-tops in the slots in the "trunk area" they do not fit in there now. I lay them under the hatch in a blanket when I take them off. They leak because of it too. I had a window guy calk the whole glass rim with black calk, the water was comming in from the broaken seal around the actual T not the usual door/window/outer seal area. The water got in to the T and rusted the metal lever that locks it into place. It is so tough to open and close it. Before the guy sealed it I had him lube up the parts inside. Not much better though. Anyway, I need to get new ones. If I remember I will take pics and post them.
    In an unrelated issue... I noticed when I lifted my hood the other day, that I have some rust brewing on the underside of it near the front. Do I have to have a new paint/body guy fix it or is there something I can put on it myself?

12. Hardtop94

you could try some kind of rust converter to stop it from continueing, or use this as your chance, or reason to buy a new hood!!!

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Monika, get some pics of the affected arear both on the roof and on the hood and I will see if it's something that you can't fix yourself. Also take a pic of the roof with the t-tops on but not latched in, I want to see if there is frame twist going on.

14. Hardtop94

have you tried a different set of t tops by chance to see if they fit the same??

15. blondy97

Hardtop94, a new hood is not an option, I just had it painted!! It is only a spot of rust about 2"x4". The paint is pealed and has spotty rust spots. I just noticed it so I don't think it has been there long. I have not tried new T's, don't know anyone who has some I can borrow to try? Maybe at Carlisle?

Rick, a frame twist sounds scary! I have heard of it but never thought that was the problem. With the new gaskets on my door and the calk around the glass I have not had a leaking problem yet. I might get a few drops when it is dumping out and is raining sideways. I mostly want to get new ones cause the old ones look like cr*p. I will take pics and post. I don't think it is cause of the frame. :( God I hope not. Then what???

16. Hardtop94

well shame on you for not sandblasting the hood before paint!!! :) i would wire brush the offending area and put some rust converter on it then paint it white or put a sticker over it or how ever you want to cover it up then the rust wont come back, and what kind of mods does your car have?? i seriously doubt the frame is twisted, unless its been wrecked before or something but thats doubtful.

got any pics or a way to take some pics of the hood spot and ttops/roof? like to see it if you can

17. Jpack

If you might have an intrest I know a car at a speed shop that is being parted out. There are t tops on the car, let me know and I'll give you the contact info.

18. Vatchy

You can also check eBay for t-tops. I don't know what they run for f-bods but I bought an extra set for my '85 Mustang for $40. They didn't come with a key and they are locked but I figure it won't cost much to get the lock off if I ever need them.

19. Hardtop94

yea i know a speed shop that wouldnt sell me a roller out back so i could make it a drag car too jim!!!!:mad:

20. Jpack

And a nice drag car it would have made. Make him an offer he can't refuse.