How to identify an SS.

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Jpack

Yeah sean, found out the ls1 cars in 98 could be that way, but not the 97 like we talked about. Only info I could find on the lt1 version was TOTL

2. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yup, it was just one big fat ass pipe on the left. Flowmaster made a cat back similar to it, but SLP's was a one year deal.

3. camaro6662

another option that was ordered with the Z4C pkg from SLP was the 335hp CME 268 ....335hp D-D 599 and the 1LE 58

4. PoorMan

Figured this was a good place to add this since my hunt for an original SLP SS spoiler and hood have now ended.

Both the Spoilers (96-97 and 98-02) have "Made in Canada HMP-xxxx". xxxx is a four digit number. I have both spoilers. Not sure if this four digit number is the same on all as it may represent a production number or a part number. The number is located behind the tail light. The tail light also has "SLP NO. xxxxx" imprinted on the lens.

The 96-97 LT1 hoods have this same wording "Made in Canada HMP-xxxx" under the hood in two locations. One on the hood itself and the other on the bracing suppport piece.

The 98-02 LS1 hoods should have the same "Made in Canada HMP-xxxx" but I CAN NOT CONFIRM THIS, as I do not own one. Maybe someone with a real LS1 SS hood can confirm this.

Anyway, thought I would add for people looking for the real Mccoy.

JD

5. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

JD, you are on the money with the SLP parts, but I have to note that the for the LS-1 SLP-SS hoods, the original units that came from SLP on factory SS cars do not have SLP Made in Canada written on them in the center of the under side of the hood. The Made in Canada writing was put on the re-release hoods from SLP, and I believe the only markings on the old style hoods are along the spine, or the very back and only carry a part number if my memory serves me right. Also, the re-release hoods are lighter than the originals.

6. jtt00z28

Even though this is an old thread, maybe some of you know a little more than I do and could share some additional info to what I have found out.

This past summer I bought a 97SS Hendrick Motorsport Edition. What I know is that it is an SLP car and that there were only 61HMS made, 1 being totaled so only 60 in existence. However, I heard or read somewhere, dealerships could reproduce a HMS car so the actual number of HMS cars in existence is unknown. So the 61 I don't know if those came from Hendrick or what that number actually is. I do know that a HMS car is a silver SS with black racing stripes; the badges, the one on the center dash says Hendrick Motorsport Edition SS or something similar I'll try to get a picture and post it; 17x9.5 chrome Firehawk wheels; and that's all I have found out or think is correct.

So if anyone has any other information or corrections please feel free to add/correct.

7. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

jtt, I am not too familiar with the HMS cars, I do know of them, and the only thing for sure I do know is that they were all silver, and did infact have the Firehawk five-star wheels. I am not sure if the car was avaialbe only as an LT-4, or was the LT-1 the standard engine with the LT-4 as an option. I never knew that one of the them was totalled, I only know that one of the 100 LT-4 SS's were totalled on delivery, thus making the count 99, and I have confirmed that with Scott Settlemire in the past.

8. 35th02ss

No HMS cars came from SLP with the LT4 in it. The LT4 was in the 30th Camaro and some Firehawks. It was a cosmetic package more than anything. Strips, wheels, plaque, floor mats and such. Only put out by HMS dealerships.

Yes it would be very easy to take a car and make into one.

9. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Awesome, thanks for the clarification on that. I know I remember seeing one on eBay a few years ago and the car had an LT-4 package on it, and I do not know if the owner said it was original or add-on.

10. PoorMan

Kewl. :thumbsup: Wonder now if the "made in Canada" was on the original LT1 hoods or if they were sold seperately from SLP like you are saying for the LS1's.
    Pics of the SLP LT1 SS hood.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

11. kapwinnnng

Hey Ryatt, I nearly traded my '97 Z28 for a '98 SS back in '98. It was the dark blue, but had some options I've never seen again. It actually had a white leather interior, T-Tops and the SS wheels were white as well. From what I can tell now, that was a rare car. Sad thing is, I had the cash in my pocket to trade right there, but was actually on my way to buy a waverunner. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have bought the SS instead...

12. greg_74

White wheels were not an option in 98. The only 4th gens that came with white wheels as an option was the 30th Ann. cars, the white with hugger orange stripes ones. I do love white leather though, I have only seen one NBM one on the net with white leather.

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yup, just as Greg noted, the white wheels were probably an add-on. White was part of the SS program and could feasably come with the car stock. I can tell you for sure though that the factory wheels for the car were either silver or chome ZR-1 wheels for the 98 model year. I personally have never seen an NBM and white combination which would probably be a very rare combination. However, that notwithstanding, white interior was used on a variety of Camaro's back in 1998 and 1999 because there were many brickyard pace cars that were produced those years and white was part of the program, so I imagine NBM and white could be combined.

14. kapwinnnng

Impressive knowledge! I wish I knew where the car was now... I remember looking at the window sticker and I'm pretty sure the white wheels were included from the factory - that is, there was no "bump" sticker on there with all of the accesory crap dealers like to throw on the car. I figured they were leftover from the 30th Anniversary SS. (Actually, I almost bought one of those too, but couldn't get over the orange...)

Jeff Barnes Chevrolet in Sykesville, MD is where they were selling it.

15. barge

Does SS always mean Super Sport even if it is on 4th gen camaros?
    My Ford bronco buddy is giving me all kinds of crap, and I'm trying to find out.

I told him SS doesn't always mean Super Sport. I didn't think Camaros had "Super Sports?" Thanks.

Can someone link me to a webpage? Thanks.

16. greg_74

The 4th gens were never actually super sports but rather just called ss. However the first and second gen ss camaros were called super sports. There really is not a difference, just what they are called. So although the ss really means super sport, they were never called that from 96-02. I find that older people will refer to ss's as super sports more than youger guys.

17. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Greg totally nailed that one, and yes, the Camaro was never called a Super Sport, but was an SS only. GM did not want to call the Camaro a Super Sport because that moniker was reserved for full-frame cars, and because the Camaro was a unitized frame construction and basically a throw away car, they decided to use the name SS only. And if you recall, the Camaro was only available at first as an SS-350 small block, and it was not until later in 1967 that the Camaro was available with two iterations of the 396 big block; however, that notwithstanding, the car was never considered "officially" as a Super Sport.

Many people call the Camaro a Super Sport,and if you ask me, it is more of a Super Sport than the Chevelle, the Nova or the Impala. But, whatever, SS is fine with me, and my stock LS-1 SS will rape most stock Super Sport Chevelle's out there, so they can stick that in their pipe and smoke it.