How to identify an SS.

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 24, 2006.

1. greg_74

Yeah, they look the same in pics but like now with both of them in the driveway, they look like a different color.

2. Justablur

no luck on google :wah:

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Your car is also older that your Dads, and is probably sun faded, whereas his might appear darker, being a newer car and also being as he tucks it away in the garage.

4. greg_74

Thats what I was thinking, but I think I actually like my brighter looking color better.

5. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Greg do me favor if you have a free minute, just to make sure that I am not speaking out of turn. Can you please check the door sticker of your car and your Father's car to make sure that the color code is the same? I know that the fomula that I have used has mainly been for 01-02 GM's which is WA-8774 Torch or Bright Rally Red.

6. greg_74

Where is it on the sticker? Like they all are 3 digit or number codes

7. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

It is on the sticker that has all the RPO production codes, and will be at the bottom of the sticker and will look kind of like, WA U8774

8. REDDEVIL

I don't know if this has been brought up, but the 99's did not all have the Y2Y RPO...at least mine doesn't.

9. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

You are absolutely right Reddevil, I was told this by Scott Settlemire, but learned a few weeks ago that not all 99's were Y2Y cars, because I was scoping a 99-SS out on eBay, and it did not list Y2Y in the alpha-numeric code.

I like your user name, that is my plate name on my car!!

10. Fbodfather

GM didn't number them........Arelco in Indianapolis did -- and that, my friends, is why I have car number 62 of 57 built!

11. Fbodfather

no -- actually it was just called Bright Red -- color code 81. We decided in, as I recall, 2000 -- to give the colors special names ...... based on what enthusiasts and dealers alike told us. The Red color never changed-- just the color name....
    Torch Red is a different red -- used on Corvette.

12. Fbodfather

a couple of final notes on the 35th LE.

there were a total of 3,369 built -- 3,000 for the United States and 369 for Canada. (originally we were to build 152 for Canada -- but they increased the request AFTER the owner portfolio card was printed......)

You can find out which of 3,369 35th LEs yours is by logging onto

www.35thle.com -- as they've been provided with a list of the last 8 digits of the VIN for all 35ths......

As to Second sticker options available -- you could not order all second sticker options -- such as optional wheels. The reasoning is that we wanted a consistent look on all 3,369 cars. I did finally allow the Center Mounted Exhaust to be installed -- because barring some of the 2nd sticker content was impacting SLP's bottom line -- and they'd spent a substantial amount of money validating the CME...........

So......no optional grille - no optional wheels -- but you could get just about everything else in addition to the CME.

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Great info Scott and thank you for the clarification. Do you have any final thoughts on the last issue brought up about 99-SS and Y2Y?

14. NJ_2002_Z28

An LS-6 is a 5.7 Liter 346 c.i. same as a LS-1
    The LS-2 is the 6.0 Liter 364 c.i.

15. LS1ownzYOU

gorgeous cars guys

16. 92camaroLT1

Ok guys I know this is a old thread but I am having a conversation about the SS's. Did they come with a single outlet option on the SS, not the center outlet I mean driver's side only

17. 92camaroLT1

18. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yes they did my friend. In 1998, the SS could be ordered with a special low restriction 1 on the left exhaust. It was a pretty decent system, but was superceded by the dual/ dual low restriction system that was available all the way up to the 2002 production year.

19. greg_74

Like the two out the left on the 96 SS? Or only one tailpipe out the left? If its the two yes they did but I've never seen a single exhaust SS.

20. 92camaroLT1

cool thanks guys