How to identify an SS.

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 24, 2006.

1. drews94z-28

I have a magazine article at home that tells about the numbering of the brickyard cars and tells why its screwy, Ill have to find it. No wonder we dont have the Camaro any more, GM can't count very high lol.

2. CipsZ28

:rotflmao:

3. pmr253

I got your 94 ragtop right here.

good info on the SS, one of the guys I work with just bought a fully optioned 02 ss, I need to check on the shocks but the rest of it is all there.

I love the way rick's car looks, I also love that true 96ss that engima drive that is so rare to see a real one anymore.

4. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Thanks Mark, I really like your convertible, Marty did a lot of great things to that car, much of the same that I had planned for mine. Brent Franker owns my car and he really loves it and from what he tells me, the car is going to the body shop to have an SS hood and spoiler put on it after i built him a model of a 96-SS convertible, he liked it so much that he wants to make the real car look like the convertible.

5. pmr253

I only bought the car cause it had the right mods, shure I liked the hood(a real gm one) and I liked the ZR1's, I was never in the market for a convertible, till Marty and I started talking, I told him I didn't see myself in one, he just said the ladies will. :) the next camaro I get will be a ls1 thou, cause this car is going to get babied when I get out of the Marines.

6. itSSlowZ28

ok scott and rick, i have a question now. there's a nbm ss with anniversary stripes, seats, and dash plaque running around here. its got a hooker exhaust and i've never met the driver so i haven't looked in detail at it, but i could have sworn it was a one off anniversary like yours rick? whats up with it? i haven't looked for the floor mats and such, but is it some kind of special LE?

7. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Nope, it's not a one off, or a special order anything, neither is my car. My car is just regular production SS that I added the stripes and wheels to and at first was trying to make a copy of the Limited Edition car, the true Red red one, but decided that was the wrong thing to do, which is why I have been slowly altering the look of my car to make it have it's own identity.

To answer your question, the only true Limited Edition for 2002 was the Red covertible and T-Top car that had the machined silver wheels and silver stripes, there was never any other iteration of that car made and don't let the owner of that car tell you otherwise.

8. camaro6662

On the color of the 35th Limited Edition it is Bright Rally Red not the Torch red

9. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

It was called Bright Rally Red, but the formula is still the same as the preceding years, which is Torch red.

10. Justablur

i wish 3rd gens came SS :mad:

11. Justablur

Anyone got a SS Emblem i can borrow? :thumbsup:

12. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

I have no idea why GM never made a late 2nd gen or entire 3rd gen SS? I have seen some people make their own version of a 3rd gen SS, and they looked really nice! You could always do something to spice yours up.

13. Justablur

Got a picture of a 3rd gen SS? I know they didnt make one , i just want to see if u know where i can find one so i can get an idea, Before i paint my car...i may want to use some ideas.

14. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Sorry bro, these were cars that I had either seen in person while a car show, or seen in a magazine. I couldn't even begin to tell you where to find pics of a converted 3rd gen. You may want to try Googling it?

15. greg_74

I noticed the same thing when I looked at the thread. And no the cars are not the same color. Althought the torch red and rally red are both a bright form of red, they are different. When my Z is parked next to my step dad's 35th SS, you can tell a difference, mine is brighter than his. In pictures you can't really tell, but there is a difference. Are they the same paint code?

16. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Trust me, they are the same code. WA-8774 GM red. GM was way too cheap to add another formulary to the mix. GM was also way over budget with the 35th Anniversary project, so there is no way they would ever use an entire different formula for just 3366 cars. My car was painted with 2002 Camaro Torch red, (My Saturn) and it is the same color as a local guys 2002 SS limited edition.

[​IMG]#ad

17. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Here is a true 35th.

[​IMG]#ad

And another.

[​IMG]#ad

18. greg_74

Idk, my Z seems brighter. Oh well.

19. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

I'm looking at your sig, and your pops car and yours are the same color.

20. greg_74

And here are a couple more pics along with my Z...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad