How to identify an SS.

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Don't get me started on you Star Wars Episode II!

2. Iwanta69rs

does "liquid perfection" come in spray form???????.... :rotflmao:

hahahaha you want some ointment for that burn hehehehe

sorry rick i had to do it

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

That was a burn? I still got my jacket on???

As a matter of fact Liquid Perfection does come in spray form, a can if you will, it also comes with another can that packaged with it, it's called a can of Ass-Whoopin, now featuring 50% more for free.

4. Iwanta69rs

wow that was confusing

ok so your obsessive complsive about your car.......we all know that but i still respect you

you got a nice car but at least i actually drive mine :drive:

5. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

I would drive mine everyday but I get to many A-holes that park to close and now that my car is molding delete, I have no protection against door dings and chips, you should have seen the moldings before I took them off!

By the way, I don't care what Glenn or Dave say about your car, I like it and would drive the wheels off it, dents or no dents!

6. Iwanta69rs

i have no moldings either.....i just park way out in the middle of nowhere and walk a mile to get to the store

what do you mean what glenn and dave say?????

i take great pride in you saying you like my car.....thanks man that means a lot

7. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Your car reminds me of my 94 Z28 Rag Top and i want it back!!!!

8. Iwanta69rs

i'll trade ya....LOL

9. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Consider it done!!!

10. Iwanta69rs

:liar: ......

11. Bowtie_Z28 Staff Alumni

Rick you shouldn't tease like that!

12. slow driver

hmm when I posted pics some of you guys said it looked as if it might be a base alterations car or whatever, but it has the things of the real SS you said with the door jam thing code...

13. Fbodfather

Wow, great stuff Rick!........but I need to clarify a few things..........

On a 1996 or 1997 Camaro SS, the option code "R7T" will appear on the inner door decal....(right in the midst of all those other RPO codes)......that was the code that would allow the car to go to SLP.......and be converted to an SS. All 1996 and 1997 Camaro SSs started their lives out as Z28s. ONce they got to SLP, the Z28 wheels/tires/exhaust/suspension/nameplates/spoiler/hood were removed and replaced with SS specific components. (among other things.)

In 1998, the code was changed to WU8 because the SS program came 'in house' meaning that they were built as SSs with exception of the fact that they did not receive ANY spoiler during production...and received a 'slave' hood for protecting the engine from the elements while on their way to SLP for the Hood/spoiler/2nd sticker content.

Now..a few words about Y2Y. As memory serves me, we were told in no uncertain terms (by our financial controls people) that there should be a secondary code (besides WU8) that would tell SLP that there would be 2nd sticker content added to the car. (all second sticker options were added by SLP......and did not have separate "RPO" codes like regular GM options) The problem was that many dealers would forget to add the Y2Y code......and it was causing many problems and upsetting a lot of customers. (so we just 'accidently' changed the 'option string' so that when WU8 was ordered, it forced on "Y2Y".....regardless of whether the car would actually get 2nd sticker options.

Frankly, one of the biggest reasons for 'accidently' doing this was because a dealer might order stock Camaro SSs.......and prior to the car actually being built, it would then allow him or her to send a second sticker order to SLP. \

Now........Z7D......has nothing to do with the 35th Anniversary Cars: some history:......

The 35th LEs were used as Festival Cars at the 2001 Brickyard 400. The first twenty three built have a slightly different dot matrix pattern in their stripes. I cannot off the top of my head tell you exactly how many 35ths were used at the race, but it would have been at least 45. (I have the list at the office)

The First 2002 Camaro built was a 35th LE Convert...VIN 22100001. The second 2002 Camaro built was a 35th LE coupe.....VIN 22100002. Both were used as the unveil cars at Camaros at Carlisle in June of 2001. Both were upfitted with Track Strobes.....and ran a few laps in front of the actual pace car at the race. The convertible remains in the GM Historic Collection. (don't ask me about the coupe........it upsets me too much.....)

OK.......so we used the 35th LE for the 2001 race.........so........what would we do for the 2002 race?

Well.........yours truly decided we needed to do something special.......so we built 57 SS convertibles.......all Sebring Silver with Ebony Leather interiors. But we needed them to look 'special' over and above the Brickyard 400 decals........so an RPO was made up -- "Z7D" which would force the 35th LE WHEELS on these cars......the RPO shows on the window label as "Brickyard 400 Package" 5 or 6 were built with 6 speed manual transmissions.......the rest with automatics. all but one were built on the same day.....April 29 or 30 of 2002 as I recall........the first one was built April 1 as I recall.....it was the 'pilot' car and is owned by Scott Blewitt (who was the project manager on the Camaro Legends Tour throughout that program) (his is also a 6-speed)

I have one of them......has 7,000 miles on the odometer and only goes out in nice weather. It's car number 62 of 57 built. (DON"T ASK!!!!)

14. Iwanta69rs

wow scott thats some interesting info there

15. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Totally awsome Scott, thanks for clearing up a lot of the details, but just one question, I know from when I worked at a place called United Motors, which is a Camaro and Firebird exclusive dealer, that we had a 97 SS that had the code WU8, could the alpha numeric code have changed in mid production of the 97?

16. drews94z-28

when camarossworld was working they listed the SLP options for each year and I think my car had all of the ones from 99...any one know all of the SLP options you could get in 99 for sure?

17. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

For 99 I believe the options were,

Y2Y Content such as:

Matts
    Key Fobs
    Cargo mat
    Chrome ZR-1's
    Bilstein Level II suspension
    Portfolio
    Car Cover
    Low Restriction Exhaust

18. Enigma

Yeah i have the plaque on my ash tray lid...only for '96... door jam stickers listing every option offered in '96 and the sticker on my radiator support listing all options too. Not too mention the fact it was the only year that it was a "Z28 SS". I have both original keychains "Z28 SS NO. 207" and the Z28 SS car cover. I think i have all my bases covered on it being original.

19. CipsZ28

:hm: I wonder what goes on over there behind those doors at GM...

:santa2:

20. Enigma

"On a 1996 or 1997 Camaro SS, the option code "R7T" will appear on the inner door decal...." Thank you for clearing this up. I always wondered why my 96 SS had EVERYTHING where it was supposed to be but i never had code "WU8" but i DO have "R7T".