Hey guys, building a car for a soldier in Iraq

Discussion in 'Support Our Troops & Hero's' started by 4birdman, Aug 9, 2007.

1. 4birdman

Sorry for the long delay guys, took a long time to get it back from metal work.

Shawn and I ground down the entire interior and trunk and got it in primer. We worked a little on the underside, but need to do a bunch more and spray some primer on it.

Kirker Automotive donated all the primers, clears, and Viper Red paint for the car.

Hopefully we can find someone to do the body work and paint for us, that's the last thing we need before we start assembling it! We're going to continue to try and do the body ourselves in case we can't find anyone, butwe could get it done a lot faster if we found someone.

Pics of it primed and on the AutoTwirler rotisserie!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. MasterZ Staff Alumni

Looking good!!

3. RaisingCane

this has to be one of the coolest thoughtful projects ever! :)

4. 4birdman

If anyone wants to help out, please let me know. It is getting really busy here. Shawn has a 9 month old son, I have an almost-3 year old, and my wife is pregnant. We're squeezed for time! :tongue:

5. 4birdman

Another quick update! A guy on the FBN board has donated all the body and paint work! We're going to take the car down to him in the next few weeks. He's going to do all the finish welding, clean up all the body, straighten it, and spray primer and paint. It'll be ready for assembly when it gets back!

The end is in sight!

6. 4birdman

My camera was being stupid and wouldn't take pics when I got it to the shop, but here it is heading out! The guy working on it is going to send pics as he gets progress done!

[​IMG]#ad

7. 4birdman

Quick update from the guys doing the body work!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. Ethan

Very nice!

9. richard96

Can't see the pics!

10. 4birdman

More pics from Harry and Spencer!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And the two jokers doing the work. :)
    [​IMG]#ad

11. richard96

Looking good. Lots of work there. When this is finished, what a celebration! I bet there will some awesome mag write-us on it and some TV time as well.

Great job and way to stick with it.

12. 4birdman

Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to be scarce. Things have been crazy around here, my wife and I just had our second kid last Friday, so the last 9 months have been a blur. Shawn and I have been working on getting things together on the car so we can finish it up in time for show season next year hopefully. We're all hoping that by that time, he'll get a transfer to Ft. Bragg so they'll be closer to us and we can hit the shows together too!

Anyway, here's an update. The rear quarter panel needs a new skin. I saw that it was kind of out, but I'm not a body man so I wasn't quite sure. Harry saw it and said he'd rather replace it to be sure it looks perfect. We're having some new Goodmark panels headed his way (quarter skin and trunk kid) so he can get those squared away.
    Here's some pictures of it. You can see the difference in where the body line should be and where it is now.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

They also finished up some rust repair on the door window channel.
    [​IMG]#ad

I'm hopefully going to be picking up the rebuilt ST-10 4-spd from Tick Performance soon, and hoping the engine will be finished soon. Hey was working on it, but I haven't been by to check the progress recently. I'll hopefully find something out there soon too.

We are also going to be rolling out a new webpage soon. Now that the car was given to Shawn, we're going to take the focus from building it for Shawn and more towards trying to use it to raise money for a disabled veterans foundation. I'll keep everyone posted on that front. Should be relatively soon.

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Cool beans, keep us posted on the progression.