Guide to removing swirls.

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Extinct, May 11, 2008.

1. BdNflnc

Thanks man! :respekt:
    Just tryin to help everyone have the best finish they can. :biggrin:

2. Bowtie_Z28 Staff Alumni

Agreed the 3m stuff did great. I wasn't a fan of the Finisher but instead decided to use the Zaino product and was throughly pleased :)

3. BdNflnc

You definitely got good results! :respekt:

4. coop875

so i just had my car redone and i had 2 bring it back 3 times 2 b redone well the paint job gets worse everytime and the clear coat looks awful i just got the car back yesterday and im wanting 2 know will this work 2 refinish my clear coat or what should i do cuz im not taking it back 2 this guy and how long should i wait b4 doing something...the clear coat is foggy in some spots

5. BdNflnc

Wow, it sounds like that guy shouldn't be painting anymore!

If the clear looks bad, you may have to go in and do some wet sanding and buffing to get rid of the flaws and other issues that are going on. Just using the rubbing compound and swirl remover won't do it all.
    Ususally when clear fogs up like that its caused from using incompatible materials, or REALLY CHEAP clear. It can also result from the conditions it was painted in, such as high humidity and things like that. Hopfully buffing will clear it up, if not, it may need to be stripped and redone.
    That sucks you've had so many issues with this guy.
    I hope you get it all straightened out.

6. Chris

Quick question about this, I have a whole line of the meguirs stuff Can I use the Scratch X And a Tech wax with this, Im heading out with the famliy and I found a brand new buffer for 10 bucks at a yard sale !

7. BdNflnc

I've never tried it, but its always worth a shot. A regular buffer is hard to use to eliminate swirls, but it can be done. The orbital action of a DA or the porter cable polisher is easier. But for $10 I say go for it. If it works it works, if not, at least you have a buffer to get out deeper stuff.

8. BdNflnc

Just an update on this topic.. some new products have come out since this thread was started and I wanted to pass that all along to you all.
    I'm just gonna post all the stuff I use that way its all right here together. :)

3M Perfect It Rubbing compound - 06085 (now smells like bubble gum) :thumbsup:... seriously... they did that intentionally! lol

3M Perfect It 3000 Trizact Spot Finishing Material - 06070 * (this is the newest stuff and works amazingly well!)

3M Perfect It 3000 Swirlmark Remover - 06064 *

* - these 2 products are interchangeable, and basically do the same thing, I just like the Trizact stuff better - stays wet and polishes better.

9. bJork10

nice thread..thanks for the tips and guides..

10. kicker7738

thats sweet i would do that to my car but my paint is not worth it

11. BdNflnc

Unless your clear is flaking off or is majorly discolored, these steps will help it look as good as it can, even if the paint isnt in the best condition. :)