Guide to removing swirls.

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Extinct, May 11, 2008.

1. JonnySTS

2. Extinct Staff Alumni

I'd be interested in seeing some up close shots in direct sunlight of how that 3M product worked. I've been reading a lot lately about which products actually "take the swirls out" and which contain fillers to help hide them for a few weeks. And a black car is the way to test anything!! Let me know if ya get some pictures...Cadi looks great in those other pictures!! :respekt:

See ya on the road,
    Matt:wavey:

3. Extinct Staff Alumni

Julia,
    I am sure stores locally have a PC to buy, but I wanted an all inclusive kit that had everything.
    Being a newbie, I wanted everything as easy and pain free as possible. With a lot of PC kits, you have the typical "hook and loop" (VELCRO) style backing plates. An inexperienced person can have a difficult time and waste some valuable time trying to center the pad. Therefore, I went with the Edge kit. It has a adapter that screws onto the PC. It's a quick connect/disconnect adapter that allows you to "center" the pad perfectly everytime. Simple=better IMHO.
    Here's the Edge kit I got....it comes with the PC, numerous pads for applying everything from abrasive polishes to carnuba waxes.
    http://www.autogeek.net/ed20pocacoki.html
    Now granted there are numerous other setups, you just gotta pick the right one for you....

I'll be more than happy to give you any info you want, Julia....just let me know.

Also, as far as Saturday...we'll play it by ear. I wanna make sure that Kristen's is done for the next week. I'll let ya know....

See ya on the road,

4. SexyHawk

Thanks Matt!! :you rock: I'm excited to see the before and after pics of Kristen's car!!

5. Extinct Staff Alumni

I am hoping to at least get some prep work done on it this week to speed up any processes. Maybe get a few good washes in on it...do the wheels and tires and interior. Probably clay it to by Friday...have the trim taped off...and start with the PC as soon as I get off work.

See ya on the road,

6. JonnySTS

I wish I got some beore shots, but I swear it looked just like your hood at first. I'll try to get some afters although it has been a few days already.

7. Extinct Staff Alumni

That's actually what I am interested in. Because from what I understand the difference in fillers vs products that remove the swirls is the look after time. Fillers can reveal the same swirls over time as they merely hid them...and obviously, those that remove the swirls actually remove them.

Thanks again if you can get those pictures...

See ya on the road,

8. CamaroChica

I also wanted to re-paint my calipers too remember, so we might have to do that here since we have to leave the wheels off the dry and such for a while! :)

Chris, Julia, maybe you guys can come over here later on??? I know its hard to make enough time to get everything done we want to get done before the show! too bad we dont live closer that would make it alot easier!

9. Extinct Staff Alumni

Yes, dear....

;)

See ya on the road,

10. Bowtie_Z28 Staff Alumni

I think the idea for the Firehawk is to keep it off the road after it is clean so dunno what exactly we will be doing. Also there's tenative plans to go see a movie at the outdoor theater, go to frankies Fun Park, or go to Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach for the evening. None of which has actually been decided on yet though.

11. Extinct Staff Alumni

Gotcha...like I said, I think it's best to just play it all by ear....ya'll still trailering the Hawk up??

See ya on the road,

12. BdNflnc

Ok, heres the info on all the 3M stuff I use:

3M Perfect It 3000
    Extra Cut Rubbing Compound - for hard and cured paints
    It has a Silver and Blue Label

3M Perfect It 3000
    Swirl Mark Remover
    Has a Black and Grey Label

Then the pad I use is this:
    3M Perfect It Hookit Foam DA glazing Pad
    Use with 3M Hookit Back up pad #05276
    and the glazing pad number is: 05739

Ok, now here is a few pics. I know that niether one of them is the best for what we are looking for, but they are the best I have right now.

This one is in direct sunlight, not noon, but about 6:30pm in late June, so still really bright.
    [​IMG]#ad

And this one is inside at a show under flourescent lights, which are somtimes worse than sunlight. Its not very close up though.
    [​IMG]#ad

13. SexyHawk

Yep, that's the plan :)

14. JonnySTS

DANG! I love your Z!:respekt::bow:

15. Extinct Staff Alumni

Looks great Landon....I'll definetly look into that stuff.

Thanks for the info...I am insanely jealous of how your car looks...it's just a visual feast!!

See ya on the road,

16. BdNflnc

LOL, a visual feast huh?

Thanks to both of you! :wavey:

Oh, and Matt, just to kind of give you a heads up... With black cars, if the paint is smooth enough, swirl marks are just a part of life because if you use the swirl mark remover to eliminate them, when you wipe off the remaining compound, you will put some faint swirls back into it even if you are using a microfiber cloth.
    So its not really a matter of removing them, but how faint you keep them.
    You can make it so that 99.9% of the people out ther will never see them, but YOU know they are still there. Factory black paint like on Krissy's car is easier to take care of because the factory orange peel hides more than you realize. Just get it as good as you can and then work your butt off to keep it there. HAVE FUN!!! :chuckles:

17. Extinct Staff Alumni

Unfortunately, that's one of the things that pushed me over the edge to sell Laura (the black V6) a couple years ago. The upkeep was killing me and I couldn't really be satisfied....but now that I have some better supplies to help minimize the amount of swirls that do show I am ready to take on Krissy's black car. I am thinking that with a large amount eliminated and a good coat of wax on top of it, we should be pretty happy with the results.

Thanks again, Landon, for the help....quick question. :nervous: I know that with washing, drying, quick detailing, etc....swirls will return no matter what you do. But is there a guide to how often you can or should take action to remove them?? Even though I know using a PC is pretty safe (as they say I can't burn through the paint), I don't want to overuse it. I am thinking that maybe once or twice a year tops to break out an orange pad and swirl remover to tackle them, but want to make sure that's not too much by itself. Of course, I will be using it to apply glazes, sealants and waxes but just curious about using products with some cutting abilities.

See ya ont he road,

18. BdNflnc

Well, with factory paint you don't have as much room to work with, so eventually you COULD rub through the paint, but it will take a while. Using swirl mark remover doesn't really remove any paint. I think that if you stuck with twice a year you would be plenty safe. The first 2 years I showed my car alot, I did that before every show - like 8 hours of polishing nearly every other weekend, BUT I also have 7 coats of clear on my car too, so I have LOTS of room to work with.
    You are in more danger of doing harm if you use a wool pad, which is for heavier polishing. With what you are doing, you won't rub through that paint for many many years.

But heres a few quick tips to help prevent them from showing up so fast. :thumbsup:
    1. I use a powerwasher/ carwash to wash the car MOST of the time, not always, but 99% of the time. This eliminates rubbing your car with a wash mit.
    Your 2 cars and mine are never really dirty enough to justify scrubbing them with a wash mit.
    2. Get a California Water Blade - preferably the one with the flexible handle. Use this to dry the car off. It has something like 300% LESS friction than a chamois, so now you won't add swirls when you dry it off - OR you could use the good ol trick of running at 100 for a few seconds to dry it off. :chuckles:
    3. Stock up on microfiber cloths to remover wax and polishes, and also use them if you use a mist and shine of some sort after you get to a show.

Just keep in mind that the lighter the pressure you use for all of these steps the less likely it is you will add swirls as fast.

And don't hesitate to ask if you or anybody has anymore questions. :thumbsup: :wavey:

19. Extinct Staff Alumni

Thanks, Landon....

I've got tons of microfibers for removal of products.

For drying, I've got everything from a leafblower to a Cali blade...

Thanks for all the info and help, Landon. I will make sure to get a lot of pictures of the canvas I have to work with, the progress, and the end result.

See ya on the road,

20. techstdnt08

yeah landon is right that 3M compound is great thats all we used at school. We seen some amazing results. The pads he is talking about are fantastic too. If you have ever seen Landon's work you now that he knows what he is talking about....
    Bdnflc nice to hear some stuff from ya...