Double din

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by FANTA-Z, Nov 19, 2019.

1. KYWes

Here are some pictures for the previous post and a link. The product I mentioned that is small enough to fit in a glovebox that will convert the video to an SD card is made by Ion and it's called Video 2 SD it is powered by a USB connection.

Here is a link to an LCD monitor for a car that could be used to view either camera if wired correctly fulltime in real time. Just don't be distracted while driving from watching the monitor instead of where you're going. Auto monitor example.

You could even wire in a switch to connect both cameras and then switch to either camera at will. Compact video switcher

Front monunted camera.jpg
    The camera is the black spot just below the point of my front bumper cover.

Camera closeup.jpg
    Here's a closeup of the camera. It is fairly inconspicuous.

Access hole rear mounted camera.jpg
    Here I pulled back the trunk covering over the trunk release so you can see the hole I drilled for the rear camera wiring. If you check above the license plate you'll see it is open into the area behind the bumper cover. That being the case once you drill the hole in the trunk, you can feed the camera connections to the camera secured to the license plate screws as mentioned in the previous post. Typical color scheme; the yellow is camera video, the red is power for the camera, and black is ground. I put an eyelet on the ground wire and used a self tapping screw to secure it to the body for ground. The power comes from the positive lead to one of the reverse bulbs. The green wire you see is currently not used. It goes to power but I forget now why I did it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  2. iSpeedAtNight

Awesome write-up KYwes! Very detailed and perfectly explained! I'm absolutely going to be doing something like this to my own car once I get a few other minor issues cleared up. Thanks for explaining it so well. Hopefully others can use this info too.
    Brilliant!

KYWes likes this.
  3. Not Dave

I'm going to attempt a double din install today. I have the Metra 99-3311B and only have to do the power and ground connections as it's already wired for an amp.

4. KYWes

Excellent! Be sure to post some before and after pictures and let us know how it goes!

5. Not Dave

I will. Right now there's a single din Kenwood media player (no CD player) in there. I'm so used to having Android Auto in my pickup and work vehicle that decided to go that route in the Camaro since I plan to go on road trips again with it. Going with a Sony media player (no CD/DVD). I like it partly because of physical volume buttons.

6. Not Dave

Removed the Kenwood KMM-BT318U that I purchased used on eBay to replace a previous Kenwood CD player head unit whose display was too dark.

20211217_081319.jpg

After researching I decided on a Sony XAV-AX5000 as I could find a used specimen for half the price of new. It does Android Auto, which I really like using for playing music on various apps (Amazon Music, Live X Live [formerly Slacker] and SiriusXM) and Waze for GPS. When I got the Sony connected I powered it on before mounting it to make sure it worked as I had just picked it up from the seller this morning, meeting at the local IKEA parking lot. I noticed it had the stock firmware (1.0) so went online and discovered 1.04 was the latest as of a year ago. Downloaded the firmware to a thumb drive and did the update. Pretty easy. Connected a USB cable to connect my phone and... Android Auto wouldn't work and the Sony displayed my phone wasn't supported. I'm using a Samsung S21+ with Android 13 and their 4.0 UI so everything is updated to the latest. Get online and find out a common issue with Sony is the length of the USB cable so tried a shorter one and all is well, Android Auto is working just fine. I used a Metra (see post #23 above) faceplate thingy and it's good to go. No photos of behind the stereo. The previous owners installed aftermarket head units and chopped up the wiring. There's enough for me to work with and I used crimp connectors. The red in the screen is the background, I changed it to something darker after I took the photo.

20211217_123912.jpg

Like everyone else that's used a double DIN fascia, there's a small gap below the radio. It's not very noticeable when seated as it is straight on in the photo. I purchased a Kenwood Excelon X802-5 five channel amp that I'll install soon along with a backup camera so when I do that I'll have to remove the radio again, think I'll mount it so it sticks out about 1/4" further and the gap will disappear. That Kenwood amp cost me $315, it's a class D and gets rave reviews on the power output and excellent sound quality (it's rated as Hi-Res). I have a box and 10" sub to put in the hole where the original CD changer used to be. The amp is so small it'll fit under the passenger seat with ease. Currently using a small Kenwood class D 4 channel amp that tucks up behind the dash, goes pretty loud but wanted to upgrade that too.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  7. KYWes

Looks great and excellent writeup. What is your car specifically?

8. Not Dave

97 Z28, t-tops, 30th white w/orange stripes, 6 speed, 10 spoke silver 17" SS wheels, SLP shorties, Stainless Works catted Y, Magnaflow after cat, 1LE intake elbow (made by Dorman), K&N CAI, electric water pump, new ignition parts from coil to plugs.

I have suspension parts ready to go on: Strano springs, Koni S.TRT shocks, adjustable panhard, adjustable rear LCA's w/lowering brackets, LS1 brake upgrade w/ braided lines. I'm on the fence about replacing front upper and lower control arms with tubular. Do it all at once.

9. Not Dave

Re covered the seats a few years ago then it sat in the garage undriven. IMG_20170406_171113579_HDR.jpg

Lethal Interiors made the covers.

The double DIN is what I've wanted in there for years and finally did it. Makes me happy. I'm a driver, not a racer. Been to two NHRA races, one NASCAR, one autocross. They're great. I love to see the country and go places. Would love to drive to Key West then head over to Dry Tortugas NP (can't drive there, it's an island fort). Having a great sound system with GPS is priority for long road trips with me. And I love electronics, gadgets.

10. KYWes

My favorite activity is touring in my 95Z. I'm itching for my third trip out west. My ultimate trip is to drive the ALCAN Highway from Washington State to Alaska.

11. Not Dave

I'd love to do that on a motorcycle. That and Dalton Hwy.

My car cruises so effortlessly at 75mph, it's so easy to eat up miles. Highest speed limit in TX is 85.

12. KYWes

Speed limit...we don' need no stinkin' speed limit!

My first road trip out west (Louisville to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, then Home) I often cruised at 95 and hit 130 somewhere in Kansas.

I asked what car because in my convertible I didn't want to give up my trunk space for a sub-woofer, so I mounted an all-in-one 8" subwoofer inside the upper part of my backseat. It does really well and gives me all the bass I want with no loss of space. I did a write up on it that I'm pretty sure is on this board.

Back to Texas, on my second road trip I got off I-40 at Tucumcari, NM and went state highways to Hereford, TX. It was about midnight and a great drive through the countryside with no traffic. Spent the night in Hereford and continued on home to Louisville.

Not Dave likes this.
  13. Not Dave

I considered an amped 8"sub, thought of putting it behind the front passenger seat on the floor. I already have the 10" box and sub to go in the back. I really don't use that space for anything even after removing the CD changer the car came with.