Differences in '93 thru '97 cars?

Discussion in 'Camaro History' started by Z Angel, Jan 19, 2003.

1. BESTYET

Yes...I agree. 93's are faster, better and I get guys offering me cash at stop lights all the time! No, not for me, but for my car

Also, to clear something up. Somebody said that 93's didn't have tractions control. Well mine does...

2. camarosource

According to GM documentation, The "ASR" (Acceleration Slip Regulation) was not introduced for the Camaro until 1995 where it was an option for Z28 Coupes and Convertibles. RPO code NW9

How do you know you have Traction Control in your 1993 Camaro? What model? Do you have NW9 in your RPO Listings?

If you do, this is a very interesting find.

Thanks BESTYET

3. BESTYET

well, there's a light that comes on when traction is lost and it sure does grip after that. I have a 93 Z28 6 speed and I remember one time hitting some water from someone's sprinkler as I went around a corner and it grabbed so quick.

but maybe this is something different than what you're talking about???

let me know, thanks!

4. camarosource

Hmm.. Where exactly is this light? On the instrument panel? If so, where exactly?

Thanks,

5. BESTYET

on the instrument panel, I believe (it's been a while) right side kind of lower...

here, let me go outside and lose some traction...ha ha!
    I'll be right back...

6. camarosource

I have your answer. After much scratching of my head going through all my resource material, I finally discovered what you are referring to. You're referring to the "Low Trac" light in the lower left hand corner of the instrument panel.

According to the restoration kit, this light comes on when ABS Brakes take over.

It's not necessarily "Traction Control" as it has nothing to do with wheel spin.

Thanks for the heads up. This was a very interesting puzzle :)

7. kjtar

How about manual transmissions? 5 speed or 6? If any were 5, when did they change to 6 speeds?

Tom
    AZ

8. 95Bluestreak

93-94 cars had black side mirrors. In 95+ the side mirrors are the same color as the car.

9. camarosource

I'm sorry to say but that is not necessarily true. Not all 1995+ Camaro's had body colored mirrors.. Quite the opposite actually.

[Broken External Link]

* All Base Camaro's received body-colored side mirrors, unless equipped with T-Top's (CC1) in which case the roof, C-panels, and mirrors would be black. HOWEVER, if you ordered T-Top's (CC1) AND ordered the RPO D82 option (Monochromatic Roof Paint), you could change the roof, c-panels, and outside mirrors to the same body color.

* All Camaro Z28's received black-colored side mirrors whether it had T-Top's or not. HOWEVER, if you ordered T-Top's (CC1) AND ordered the RPO D82 option (Monochromatic Roof Paint), you could change the roof, c-panels, and outside mirrors to the same body color.

Hope this helped. :)

10. RymerC

Yeah, I get the low-trac light alot in my 93. Even if my tires aren't spinning, but I'm just about to stall the car... I don't think it means the brakes are taking over though. If I do spin the tires, the low-trac light doesn't usually come on. Maybe mine's broken?

11. Louvit Staff Alumni

If you lock you tires on a stop (which is hard to do ) that little light comes on Low Trac I see it in my car.

Alo 93' do not have skip shift

12. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

That hapenned to me too Lou LOL!!!

13. 1996camarors

Yeah I think when the lowtrac light comes on it montors wheel spin. When mine kicks in the brakes do engage and try to restore trac. But its not consitered trac control because its a passive system.

14. 95redz28

local tuners to program chip..anybody know

anyone know of any reputable tuners to program a 95 z28 with a higher performance chip. I have a MAC and all the chip programming seems to be Windows based
    Thanks in advance... Mike
    [email protected]

15. 95Z28Ragtop6speed

ASR for 1993 Z28

My 1995 Z28 6 speed ragtop has RPO code NWP for the ASR, it is mid year 1995 production, it has the ASR controller on the drivers side valve cover and
    the ASR on/off switch on the dash next to the top up and down switch.
    When it is on and you start to lose control, it basically shuts down for a millasecond, turn it to off and it burns the tires.

By the way does anyone know why my remote and drivers side door lock switch will not lock my doors ?

thanks,
    95Z28Ragtop

16. Bman_333

i can't see this being true..93's faster..better. how? i think they have less hp opti isn't vented only 1 cat where's the 2nd gives 10 more hp etc. looking at those links posted it would appear 93 is almost the least of them all. none the less its a very very small margine.

17. Bail

Old post but I have to agree. I have had a 94-2000 and now 93. LS1 car no freaking question at all super fast. 94 was also the truth. 94 was such a amazing car. But my 93 ummm I love it. But had to do some changes just to get it to the 94s performance. 93s are the slowest and my brothers car has 110mph speedo. And mines has the 150. His car governed and mine not. Weird but it is what it is.

18. voodoochildsj

110 on a z28?What all did you change on your 93?

19. bakesz28

If your car left the factory with "H" rated tires, you got the 110 speedo. If it left the factory with "Z" rated tires, you got the 150 speedo. I had a '94 Formula, 5.7, "H" rated tires and a 110 speedo.