4th Gen Stereo Tips (done on an LT1)

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by istoleacamaro, Mar 31, 2007.

1. pmr253

Or you can run the rca's on the drivers side of the car, and the power on the passenger side.

2. LT1 Weezy

In my personal opinion the RCA's are easiest to run down the center. Just remove the center console and run them down with the power wire going on the passenger side. Another big thing most people dont do is make one common ground point for multiple amps and or capacitors, and dont ground your amp coming off of the cap. just my 2 cents

3. flak_monkey

Where's the best ground spot on this car?

4. flak_monkey

Plus, it's easy because you have the RCA's coming right out the back where the center console is. Really easy to do the center console.

5. Chevyman001

Curious, can you run 0 Ga. wire through that gromet under the PCM without any problems? I have a bunch of wire, I hav 0, 2, & 4 Ga. wire. Id like to run my 0ga. but would I be better off running my 2ga?

6. flak_monkey

1/0 will fit fine.

7. Chevyman001

Awesome. Thanks. Also, where is a good spot to run a ground to? Im going to be running 2 or 3 amps. Is it hard to remove the center console to run the RCAS?

8. Brandon

in the spare tire area is a good place.

9. Chevyman001

Alright. Last question I have, not trying to be a hassle or anything, but when you unbolt that to run the wire, will it bolt back up with the wiring ran through? Im going to get everything done here soon. and ready to throw in my subs, amp rack, amps, sub box, etc.. I ran my RCAS yesterday. Just didnt get a chance to look over the situation for my power. Also, would I have room to run 2 2 or 4ga. wires, such as power and ground? I was thinking about running both to my battery.

10. Brandon

wait.... when you unbolt the what to run the what?

if you are talking about the ground, i just grounded mine under the jack. you dont have to actually ground it to the spare tire, just any place you think is suitable back there.

11. sweet-94z28

I used an interface that keeps the amp in the radio from ever reaching the speakers. All it does is use the signal impulses from the radio to tell the amplifiers at the speakers what to do.

12. Brandon

i didnt know there were amps in the speakers. i have an option on my headunit to turn the amp off. oh well, too late now.

13. flak_monkey

Yeah, you just make sure that you have bare metal to ground to and that's all.

14. Chevyman001

Wow. Never mind, I confused myself on that too. I just reread everything. I thought you had to unbolt the PCM and take it out.. nevermind. I confused myself. But there is a gromet to run the wires through, right behind the PCM correct?

15. Brandon

yes, and you do have to unbolt the pcm to get to it. you dont have to disconnect it though, there is more than enough slack. as soon as you move the pcm, you will immediately see the gromet. you cant miss it.

16. flak_monkey

If you park outside, you might have some leaves and gunk down there. And you may have to cut the grommet. It's sort of like a nipple that only that one set of wires can go through, so to make life easier, I made a small incision and slid my 1/0 right on through. The only problem you will then face is tucking the larger wire under the carpet.

17. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I drilled and tapped a hole that I drilled in my car when I had the amp in there. There is really no reason to run the ground all the way back to the Batt. And, if you go to Best buy, you can get the flat adapter for the radio. I can't stand the radio poking out like it is in the first pics.

18. Brandon

running the ground all the way back to the battery would be a horrible idea. the shorter the ground the better. i believe its supposed to be under 5 feet. also, if you order your head unit from crutchfield, the adapter they give you makes the headunit mount pretty much flush.

19. Chevyman001

Alright. Thanks. I might run my wires this week, Im not sure. I migt be selling the car and getting a vette now..dunno Thanks!

I agree on the deck thing. I have the kit that mounts it flush;
    Heres a crappy pic, you kind of can tell.
    [​IMG]#ad

20. Shad0wguy

Flush mount is definitely better. And if you've got the cash, the ones from humount look great. I have one in my Fiero and just ordered one for my Camaro. I'll be posting pics once I get it installed.