302 engine

Discussion in 'Camaro History' started by Z28Racer, May 1, 2003.

1. EdR

Correction to my post

"Built with pride"
    Tonawanda NY

2. Badass94Redz

mortis i haft to say u are very correct. My dad has owned a real 69 z28 camaro matching numbers. he let that go before i was born sometime in the mid 80's. All z28's were 302 cars, the ss camaros were the 350's.

3. zx401

Z engine

The 67 302 is quite a bit different from a 8 or 9. The big difference being of course the small journal cast crankshaft. For 68 a large journal forged crank was developed and used in 68 and 69. I have a 69 so that is where my knowledge is. Rather than describe blocks by cubic inches they should be described by casting numbers. The 386, 618, and 0010 blocks were used in the 69 Z's. They were 4" bore and were fitted with 4 bolt mains. The engines used the forged 3" crank, the 4 bolt 4" bore block, high volume oil pump, windage tray, camel hump heads with large valves, the 30/30 solid lifter cam, aluminum intake, holley carb, large diameter water pump pulley, and alternator pulley, deep groove pulleys, forged pistons, floating pins with "pink" performance rods, and was fed with a 3/8 fuel line. The RPO for the 302 engine was Z28 which is how the car came to be named. All first generation Z's were 302's.

4. Jshore2005

very well said zx401-i was gonna agree with everything mortis said but the 2bolt main statement(no way a v8 can rev 7-8 thousand with only 2bolt mains), you just condensed it down. we also have a fully original 69 z purchased in 71, though it needs restoring it looks, sounds, runs and IS badass. Plus i dunno about can am but i'm 99% sure the z won the transmission am series in 69, and no the 302 stangs were quick but not as quick as the 302z.

5. joethegtbeater

that was a SCCA race motor. pontiac had a 303 that was pretty much the same thing. i thought they came out with the 302 in 68? you could also get the 350 in the 69 z28 and also you could have a dealer installed "cross ram" option for i think like 600 bucks or something. 67`s had 327`s and i think you could get either a 350 or 327 in 68 or maybe the started the 350 option in midyear,i`m not positive on that one because that was the first year of the 350. :confused:

6. joethegtbeater

ok...correct me if i`m wrong here. chevrolet made the 350 in 67 just for the camaro. in 68 you could get either. and they did start the 302 in 67. what about the big blocks. when did they start the 427?was 69 the last year for the 396? and was the 350 optional in the 1st gen Z cars?

7. BBCAM

427s started in 66 in the vettes and I dont remember them ever being FACTORY in camaros although they were put in COPO in 68/69 and the 396 was used through 72 in camaros but it was actually 402ci after 70 and was used in the SS model from 70-72 and NO the 350 was NEVER offered In 1st gen Z cars, but it was in SS models 67-72, optional equipment..if you dident want a big block..

8. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yup, what BBCAM said, 1966 was the first year of the of the 427. It was available as an option for the Camaro through the COPO code, available on the Yenko platform and the Nickey Camaro. There were other tuner companies that offered the 427.

The 327 was the base V8 engine for the Camaro and the Camaro SS was available in either 295-HP 350 or the 325 or 375-HP 396. In 1968 an option of 350-HP 396 became available.

The only engine available for the 67-69 Camaro Z28 was the 290-HP 302, and the only transmission available to the 1st gen Z28 was a 4-Speed and a 12-Bolt Posi-trac.

9. vettepilot69

The Truth about the 67-69 Z/28 Motors

Dear Friends,
    I am new to this forum and dont want to seem like I know everything. I am however an owner of a 69 Z/28 ( Los Angelas Car). And have done my fair share of research on the subject.
    One book that was very helpful is titled:
    The Definitive 1969 Z/28-SS 396 Fact Book, By Jerry Mcneish.
    Another Great source of info. comes from this website:
    http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/camaros/302.htm

Take Care, Jeff

10. guywithfastcar

while you are on the subject of two vs. four bolt mains........what is the difference? Is it how many studs attach the head to the block? Sorry, im still a little new to all this. Thank you for your help. Oh, and also, this is outta nowhere, but what is a "rear main seal"....is that where the transmission attaches to the engine?

11. LT1Z28Dave

The main is the "main" cap that holds the crank in place. There is more than one cap, but when you hear "two bolt main", that means there are literally only two bolts holding the main cap in. Four bolts means there are two on each side of the main cap. The four is much more desireable because it's much stronger.
    The rear main seal is the seal that holds the oil in around the rear most part of the crank. There are two and one piece seals.

12. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

That's pretty much the meat of it, however in severe duty high revving engines, the factory 010 small block 4 bolt main is not a logical choice because they tend to spider web crack around the mains. So some people buy a 2 bolt main block and use splayed main caps, meaning the outer main bolts are drilled at an angle. Or they use a GM Performance parts block that comes this way from the factory. There are other manufacturers but the GM block is my personal favorite :)

13. guywithfastcar

oh, makes sense, that was just one of those things i always heard but never knew what it was...thanks guys!

14. blitherskite777

Hey all!

This is a site that fully explains the history and stats of the 302 in detail.

http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/camaros/302.htm

The question I have is.... I have a 67 302 and was curious of its worth ?? Does anyone know what they sell for ??

Thanx J

15. 86RedRocket Staff Alumni

I was checking out that link. I thought the 302 had a cross-ram dual carb. setup?

16. blitherskite777

If I read correctly .. it was only an option for 69 cars.

The others had a 800CFM Holley carb.

Anybody about the price ???

Thanx
    J

17. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Well sort of, they actually had a 780 vacuum secondary Holly. Your typical run of the mill Z28 had a single 4-barrel carb and was rated at 290hp, and then in *1969 the optional cross ram set up became available and was a hefty mark up as well because with it you needed th fiberglass ZL-2 Cold Air hood that was modified to accept the large oval air cleaner. These engines were rated at well over 400hp because of their burly cam and dual carb setup.

* - 1968 was the official first year of the cross ram intake manifold and ZL-2 fiberglass hood although it was not in production, rather was used on one car, Pete Estes' 1968 Z28 Convertible. The entire car was a one-off as there was never another Z28 convertible made until the late 3rd gen IROC-Z.

18. BlackY2kZ28

no way a chevy 302 is totalty dif

19. red fox

The 69 camaro had a 100% chevrolet 302ci. small block i was there.

20. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yup, it was all chevy!