1996 3.8 turbo is on

Discussion in 'V6, I6 and I4 Performance (All Years)' started by ss6532, Jan 16, 2022.

1. cardo0

Well I've had 2 shops tell me the Spohn tubular K member is too weak and is flexing. Just had the rack and pinion replaced as it had a big azz crack in it. Shop won't warranty the new rack and pinion for that. This is getting expensive because I don't have a garage that I can swap K members in let alone want to.
    Looking at the PA Racing w/s they don't show a V6 K member but the V8 K member doesn't look any stronger than my Spohn.

2. ss6532

I’ve had my PA K member since 2008, it’s the track K which is the lightest one , it’s still holding up. Unless you’re doing auto cross or something then I would see it flexing. Spohn is a good company don’t see them making junk. I also have the front tubular Aarms , upper and lower, unless they have a camera under there when driving how would they know it’s flexing. I’d find a better mechanic. The strongest tubular K for the V6 is by UMI . I think they call it the road race version, you can autocross in it.

3. cardo0

When I shopped for a tubular K member Spohn was the only company that showed a V6 unit. When I look at UMI and PA today I don't see a V6 K member. May have to contact them directly. I recall Spon didn't have one on the shelf and I had to wait for them to manufacture one. A major problem is I don't have the garage space let alone a lift for this much work. That and its an awful ugly job to replace a K member.

4. ss6532

Yeah, probably have to email or call the companies, not a big demand for the 3800 f bodies anymore. For my TCI 3500 tq converter had to order it , same with my stainless steel brake lines had to order them for the 98+ brake conversion, only the 2nd person to order them.

5. ss6532

Did a 1996 to 2002 rear view mirror with some leds in the mirror and dome light. I like it. Doing the underside of the dash with some leds from Screaming Chicken. Here’s a pic of the mirror. I also installed a rear view mirror.Stinger pc680 battery with 200 amp Isolator just running to the starter . And a 220 amp alternator. IMG_0788.jpeg

6. cardo0

Okay, what is the difference between them? 2002 mirror comes with LED's instead of bulbs? 2002 mirror larger or better for some reason? Curious because the '97 mirror lights are pretty marginal. Where are you buying the LED's for this?

Thx for sharing.

7. ss6532

No installed leds in them, their just newer style easier to switch bulbs they use 194 bulbs little slimmer. You have to use a different harness a 7 pin but only use 3 wires like the 93-00 years . Just something to do, some guys have installed newer mirrors with the compass and temp readings, didn’t find any that I liked so just did the 01-02 mirror.

8. ss6532

Here’s a pic with Screaming Chicken LEDs under the dashboard. Easy install and great directions. Hook up to the BCM so comes on and off with the interior lights. IMG_0792.jpeg

9. cardo0

Great lighting. Much better than stock which is nothing.:)

10. ss6532

Went ahead and add 2” spacer’s in the rear, all the weight of the stereo and batteries and misc. stuff probably adds about 200lbs at least. Also adjusted the QA1s. 6 for the rear and 4 for the front. I like the stance now. IMG_0801.jpeg