1996 3.8 turbo is on

Discussion in 'V6, I6 and I4 Performance (All Years)' started by ss6532, Jan 16, 2022.

1. ss6532

Bumper came out decent, going to wet sand it and polish it, hopefully get it on the car tomorrow. 34CF3DAB-122F-4139-B48F-3C7B7C4CBECF.jpeg

2. ss6532

Got it wet sanded and put back on, still need to do some polishing. CE449876-2B17-41A6-9906-FA69C911B162.jpeg

3. ss6532

Got my Glow Shift digital vac/boost gauge in, easier to read at a glance. Here is a pic.Going to take it out this weekend and hopefully tune it to 10psi. Depends on weather of course.

A0819588-5D6B-46B3-88B5-E692EC5D3923.jpeg #ad

4. ss6532

Weather sucked, so just doing some new weatherstripping on the doors. Had a leak for about 10 years so just doing some maintenance.

5. ss6532

Picked up a new Walbro 255 high flow fuel pump GSS342, my current Walbro 255 high flow is over 20 years old, no problems with it but eventually will go out. I like having the extra parts so makes it easier to replace.

6. 4thand26

my brain cannot comprehend the 4 digit o2 readings...

7. ss6532

That’s my PLX-M300, I’ve had it for over 20 years, works great. Since they don’t make them anymore, probably go with Ballenger A/F gauge, it’s the same size as the PLX. Also 4 digits. Very accurate was within .1 of the dyno wideband. Hopefully lasts awhile longer.

8. ss6532

Hopefully get some tuning done this weekend, had a woman ran over , and killed, down town where the speed limit is 35mph. Alot more deputies and highway patrol. Just trying to hit about 80-90 mph have to drive about 3 miles where it’s 65mph. But it’s not a straight road a lot of curves. Dyno shop is 200 miles away so maybe wait and tune it there.

9. ss6532

Got a lot of little stuff done on the Camaro, hopefully get some tuning done this weekend. Did weather stripping on the doors, fixed some exhaust leaks, solved my coolant leak, raised my seats up a inch, changed fuel filter and changed the fluid in the differential. Also did some stereo work.

10. cardo0

So I found a turbo kit for the L36 in 4th gen camaro. $1400 on eBay from a company called mmimotorsportsllc in Troy Michigan. Anyone hear of them? EBay calls the seller E-SALES RACE DISTRIBUTION. Looks like a nice kit with everything I can think of but the tubing/ducting may need trimming - at least it's aluminum. Check it out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-T4-TWI...8-f784-4539-b632-19ab525f1077&redirect=mobile

11. ss6532

The link you posted is for a V8. The kit I got was$585 now I think it’s $700.

12. ss6532

13. cardo0

Thanks, did you use stock manifolds or shorty headers? I was thinking I would need a full kit with the turbo headers but maybe not. Richard Holdener did a lot of U-tube videos turboing a 3.8l and street headers which didn't add any power.
    Okay I see your kit has the turbo headers.
    Here's the correct link for the 3.8l camaro kit (can't edit old posts here): FIREBIRD FOR CAMARO 3.8L T4 3800 FULL TURBO KIT TURBOCHARGER 800HP 95-02 FBODY | eBay

14. ss6532

Same company for both kits, one is a full kit other is turbo, turbo headers and wastegate. For me since I had better turbo parts just needed the basic kit. I like name brand stuff so I got the basic kit and used my Garret Gt35r turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate and Tial 50mm BOV. Then got the intercooler and pipping and other misc. stuff off eBay. You’ll need a bigger fuel pump like Walbro 255, NGK tr6 spark plugs.035 gapped and need to relocate the EGR, power steering res. And might need to cut your hood to fit the turbo. Also the heater core might need to be pushed back about a inch to fit the passenger side O2.

15. cardo0

Wow! That is a lot of hard work. Thx for the info.
    Anything wrong with or bad about a T4 turbo? They don't list any brand names for the wastegate or the intercooler.

16. ss6532

Their just T4 eBay turbos, had 1 guy had it making noise at 6 months, they warranty it and sent him another. I like name brand, especially for the turbo, don’t want anything coming loose and taking out my $5k engine. The wastegate is no name brand so good luck finding different lb springs or parts. The intercooler looks to be no name brand too. Better off getting the cheaper kit and building it yourself. T4 turbos nothing wrong just bigger than a T3. My Garrett was a T3 , had it on my under K kit. Switched to the T4 hot side for the kit. T4, T3 are just the flange that bolts to the hot side

17. cardo0

I think I'm getting a larger project than I expected. I thought the "turbo kit" would save a lot of time but it still looks like a huge task and needs more research than I want to give it. For now I think I will start with tuning then add headers with CAI. Next would be valve springs and high lift rockers or maybe a cam.
    But today my car dumped all the PS fluid coming home and is squealing good. That should be a costly fix. Monday it was the shifter knob as the button launched itself. Glad the vendors have new replacements as the all the 4th gens at the local bone yard had the shifter knob taken already. :(

18. ss6532

Yeah it was a lot of time and money definitely. PS is easy fix on a 3.8. I just installed a 220 amp alternator on mine today , without touching the turbo kit about 30min to a hour job. Hands are all scratched up it’s a tight fit. Added a 2nd battery 2 weeks ago. A pc680 stinger battery just going to the starter. Installed a Stinger 200 amp isolator too. Shouldn’t have to worry about dimming lights when the stereo is turned up. Now just going to get a summer tune on it. Tuning is always good , headers , exhaust and cai is always good. Theirs a lot of good cams for the 3800. I’ve ran the VS cam for 20 years, about 5 years with a Powerdyne supercharger. Now I have a ST2 turbo cam. If your going to keep the 3.8 and maybe turbo in the future, go with a turbo cam that way you’ll save alittle in the long run.

19. cardo0

I need to add the Spohn tubular K member I had installed to my profile. Not only lightens front end but makes a lot of room for a turbo under the car. Just have measure and sort it all out - when the time comes.

20. ss6532

Yeah I have a PA racing tubular K and lower and upper A arms, a lot lighter. I like the tubular front end my stuff I drop goes straight through.lol I almost kept the under K turbo kit but still scraped a lot on stuff. The turbo headers are the way to go. Good luck