Why do they do this?

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Z28/Ken, Jan 28, 2014.

?

Do you like the plastidip look?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Indifferent

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I saw this image on a news feed site, and every time I see one of these plastidip treatments on a newer car I have to ask myself why the heck do people ruin a perfectly good paint job with this? At least that's my opinion. I can see doing it in a budget build but come on... a new car?
    UeGM3dB.png #ad

Tags:
  2. popo8

U know it does not hurt anything ...so to say "ruin" is a little rough. Im not a fan of the fad either... But as a temp...cheap change... Its harmless.

3. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Yeah, true, but I just don't get the look. Like a Jeep's fenders, lol.

4. sweet-94z28

I used it to coat the bowties on my truck. They look AWESOME! I also wanna use it to coat my wheels on my truck before winters from here on out to protect them.

5. Sahara54

I'm going to plasti-dip the CETA and my door badges on the WS6.

6. sweet-94z28

Best part is that if you just want white, orange, or black, Home Depot and other hardware stores carry it.

7. Z/YA

I for one don't care for it, or the whole flat black theme.
    There is a newer G35 here and it has been plasti-dip and it just looks like someone shot the car with euro-primer and never got around to painting it.
    I just don't get it lol

00redsvt likes this.
  8. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Sometimes they do it to emulate some factory cars such as the 1LE on the 5th gen. It comes from the factory with the primer color hood like the picture above and its a cheaper way of doing it, plus they can turn the car back to the way it was without spending any money :)

9. BdNflnc

I agree with Glenn, plus like was mentioned earlier as well, it is a quick, easy, and cheap way to protect various items, whether its paint, or wheels, etc. You could coat your wheels for the winter and protect them from sand and salt...... or you can opt to NOT do anything and spend 2 days in the spring repairing damage and polishing. :)

FANTA-Z likes this.
  10. Bern1982

IMG329-1.jpg #ad

I used plasti dip for my stripes just to see if i like it before i buy stickers.

11. cdoyle

I did my wheels with it, since they were oxidized really bad, and I'm not ready to buy new ones yet.
    I think it looks much better.

achris.caraudiocentral.net_images_Camaro_camaro_projectors.jpg #ad

achris.caraudiocentral.net_images_Camaro_camaro_projectors.jpg #ad

12. BumbleMe

I like the look so long as it isn't overdone. What's the harm, we did the modifications to the looks of our cars growing up, its just more of the same, people trying to get a different look for them ride. Plus almost anyone can afford.

13. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

BumbleMe, you're right, what's the harm? I guess I'm becoming a grumpy old fart before my time, lol.