What tuning software available for the 1997 V6?

Discussion in 'Computer tuning and diagnostics' started by cardo0, Feb 24, 2023.

1. cardo0

Hello Folks,
    We have midnight madness here at las vegas speedway/dragstrip tonight. So I charged up the laptop and loaded my old tunercats software for the LT1. But find it doesn't support any OBD II computers so the support list stops at the 94/95 camaro's that are OBD I but have the OBD II connector.

Seems like the only tuning software for my '97 V6 is gonn'a be HP Tuners. Looks like what $400 for the communication unit and another $300 for the software which is limited to only 2 cars for tuning use.

Anything else out there for the '97 V6? I recall there is/was free tuning software for the early OBD I stuff.

Tags:
  2. mullettcar

tunerpro rt is free not sure if it works for v6

3. cardo0

I looked it over and I'm not sure either. Says I need a matching BIN file or maybe another hack. Maybe going down another rabbit hole.

Thx for the tip.

4. mullettcar

i looked it up you can use tunerpro and yes you would need a bin file but they are easy to find for free

5. cardo0

Well my conservative approach would be to get a junk yard computer to swap in and save the original as is if ever needed. I think this is be a long a slow process. If you know where I can find a correct BIN file please let me know.

Thx again.

6. mullettcar

http://gearhead-efi.com/
    i suggest you sign up with them they are very helpful and someone always anwser questions they have all the tuning info and bin files ADX file everything you need

7. cardo0

From what I learned so far I need the OS id from my bin file to search for a "released" adx file. Don't know when I'll get that far. I still would prefer to get a donor PCM to work with.

8. ss6532

Yeah for V6 3800s Hptuners, mines a 1996 using a 97’ pcm. Been using it since 2002. Hptuners has a respository with all kinds of stock and modified tunes. Just save your stock tune in the respository and on a flash drive. Not hard to use with the tuning videos and Hptuners itself explaining on the bottom of each screen telling you what it’s going to do.

9. cardo0

Nice to hear a happy HP Tuners customer. I'm just not ready to spend the money for HP Tuners communicator and software. But I may have to save up to buy it in the future - not sure yet.
    Sometimes I think of trying to "piggback" PCM's might be a solution - or another rabbit hole.

Did you have to "re-pin" your PCM connectors for the '97 PCM?

10. ss6532

It’s the only tuning software they have for 97-02 3800 pcms so basically if you want to tune your v6, got to have Hptuners. I think if I remember correctly, they had Jet, Hypertech and DHP back in the early 2000’s but doesn’t compare to Hptuners, they also had Tiny Tuner but never looked into it. Yes 96’ and 97’ same pinouts and can only tune 97’ pcms. And I think 00-02 have the same pinouts, have to check out Firebirdv6.com , it has all the pinouts and other information on the V6’s.