What is the meaning of Z28?

Discussion in 'Camaro History' started by SS201, Apr 30, 2009.

1. SS201

Why was the Z28 named "Z28"? Does the letter Z and number 28 have s speacial meaning?

Tags:
  2. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

It was an RPO code.

3. 94Zstangwalker

Glenn,

Is it the same thing or the Z06, Zr1, Z71, Z24 exc?

4. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Im not sure but I dont think so. I dont have the book in front of me so I dont remember which it was but either the 67 or 68 started the RPO code but there was not a name plate for the Z28 but later they made that RPO coded car the Z28. Or at least thats what I remember off the top of my head lol.

5. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Looks like after reading the book a little bit it was in 67 that there wasnt a nameplate. There were only 602 Z28 coded cars sold in 67 and that jumped to 7200 in 68 :) I guess the performance package spoke for itself in 67 and a lot of people wanted it lol. Not on your question but I thought it was interesting that in 67 there were no Pace car replicas made like they do today so all of the ones that you see that are original were made for the race weekend :)

6. SS201

OH ok, I was just curious. I never knew!

7. Greg Norris

8. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Yeah the one that caught me was that the 69 Z28 only came with the 302 motor. I thought they had some Z's with a big block in 69.

9. JMann94z28

my neighbor said his brother had one back in 69 and said you had to tune his 302 every 3 months

10. y2k

No big block Z28's were made of any year and all 1st gen '67-'69 Z's were 302's with 4 speed manual transmissions,some that had the cross ram dual quads,higher compression and angle plug heads were rated 425hp but most of those (and few were made) went straight to the race track.
    The standard DZ302 was rated at only 290hp (wink wink) just like the Vett's L88427 was rated at only 425hp (wink wink) to get by the insurance company issues etc.
    The real numbers were quite a bit higher but that was done industry wide back in those days.

11. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

One other thing I didnt know till reading my book again that in 67 the Camaro actually ran in the Daytona 500 "DOH"

12. y2k

That pretty much boiled down to how much and how hard they were driven.
    Of course they were points fired ignitions,some had dual points no less and the cams were solid lifter cams without roller rockers so they often needed adjustment after a few hard runs.
    Also keep in mind there was no such thing as a rev limiter so a missed shift could mean really winging it past were it should be often resulting is some sort of damage,if you were lucky things just got out of adjustment and some tuning was in order.

13. SS201

My father-in-law is restoring a 69, Z28. Still has the original 302 engine with 4 speed manual. I'll have to get pics from him to post sometime.

14. richard96

This makes me want to buy a 67 Z28. :chuckles:

15. 92camaroLT1

There has been alot of great info coing out of the site as of late...Thanks for sharing guys

16. Etown_RS

They were under-rated at that time, but that was with the old rating style. IIRC, they were rated with only the water pump on the car and open headers instead of full accesories and exhaust like today. There are also a few differences in how it was calculated I believe. For example, the LS3 in the GXP G8s (415) today would be rated over 500 or 525 (can't remember which) with the old rating system.

17. brianswimmer23

man i too want a 1st gen now!!! i have been wanting one for years but their hard to find , at least in decent shape.

18. y2k

19. Etown_RS

My neighbor has a car almost identical to the orange one sitting in his garage. 40k original miles.

20. y2k

That's worth some big bucks,does he drive it or is it just a garage queen?
    Hard to drive a classic car like that worth a lot of money but if I had it I'd drive it every chance I got.
    They're only asking $95,000 for that one lol.
    http://classiccars.com/Classifieds/...E48988931B13013C1789DD950B311246F27A2E7&cs=11

[​IMG]#ad