Vortex vs old school block

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Rlarmore1981, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Rlarmore1981

I am currently planning an engine build for my 1983 Z28. I have already swapped out the weak T5 that was in it when I got the car for a tko 600 conversion. My plan is to build a 385 stroker to power my toy. I have already purchased the Holley Super Sniper EFI kit, a set of 195cc AFR heads and Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake. Now in my garage I have a 1970 350 block and a 1998 Vortec 350 block, seeing as I'm going to go full roller motor, which block is my better choice. As a side note a 144 weiand roots style blower will eventually find its way onto the motor.

Tags:
  2. NastyZ

If that 98 block is an ls motor...your afr heads wont work....and neither will the intake....probably have issues with your efi kit your bought aswell..... why 385? If the block you have deoant need to be overbored why bother. ... a 383 is a .030 overbore....and that is usually done...because its on a used motor that needs the cylinder trued up...heck if you can get awY with a .020 overbore (like i was lucky enough to) .... do that.... tyen down the road if the block needs a rebuild..... the material is there

I say only do what is needed .... the extra overbore serves no real purpose.... and if you are beating on it may conteibute to higher heat..... thats more of a racing thing though

3. Rlarmore1981

The 98 is a gen 1 block and a factory roller. And building a 385 by choice not need. My only consideration is trying to find out if either block has a strength advantage on the other

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

The blocks are virtually the exact same. Use which ever one you want. The main difference for a Vortec engine was the heads and intake. You cannot put a SBC Gen 1 intake on a Vortec due to the bolt angles, and vise versa. If it were me, I would do the '70 block. Put that Vortec in a truck or something.

Rlarmore1981 likes this.
  5. Rlarmore1981

Thanks. My ultimate goal is to have a 3rd gen that looks like a pile that I can smoke 90% of the cars in my town with. Lol

6. NastyZ

So basically ...same block from what.....87 up? 1 piece rear main seal.... roller cam? Same one i got then.... ya that dam vortech names got thrown around too much.... i get lost when someone says vortech now lol

7. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm 99% sure all of the journals are the same on the standard SBC and the Vortec SBC blocks. I just looked and I could not find any differences in the blocks.

NastyZ likes this.
  8. mullettcar

i will make you 100% sure Tony you are right my 69 4x4 has a vortec block and my heads are from a 69 they bolt right on and the reason i did it that way is cause your right the vortec heads are at a different intake angle so my sbc performer intake wouldnt work so i used the 69 heads and had no issues at all.
    oh ya that and the vortec heads have center bolt valve covers

9. NastyZ

So do non vortech heads....mine are centerbolt...083 (350 tpi) and the 081 ( 305 tpi) heads have centerbolt covers..... so do the tbi trucks and other vehicles with tbi

10. mullettcar

ya some others do too but 100% of vortec are center bolt

NastyZ likes this.