671 BLOWN LT1 INSIDE> one question though..

Discussion in 'Power Adders' started by Bipolar, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Bipolar

Im wanting to do this with a small single carb blower & seeing how im all ready running a carb setup the only question I have is about the bolt pattern...What did this guy have to do to mate the blower manifold to the LT1 heads..How different is the bolt pattern from the LT1 heads and the old school heads? Go hear to read all about the only 671 blown LT1 I have ever seen..

http://users.senet.com.au/~tims/WebPage.html

http://users.senet.com.au/~tims/motor6.jpg

http://aussie-t.150m.com/motor8.jpg

Tags:
  2. Bipolar

Wow..no one else thinks thats cool?

3. GradeZ28

That is pretty cool! I have no idea on your question though.

4. Bipolar

I know now. I have been emailing him and he bought his longblock from a company in Australia that fills the center bolt holes on the heads then they drill new ones in the old style manifold location. Here is a pic of his longblock. See his center bolt holes in the head. Pretty cool. I was on the site he bought his longblock from and they sell complete carb'd LT1's with the old style carb manifold instead of the new GMMP carb'd intake. I think I will do this to my heads at least so I can run a good Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake. Im not to crazy about the one offered by GMMP...
    http://www.suburbanimports.com.au/motors.htm

aaussie_t.150m.com_motor2.jpg #ad

awww.suburbanimports.com.au_motors_350lt1.jpg #ad

5. 95Bluestreak

The thought of a roots style supercharger crossed my mind some time ago. I don't know how you would run a 6-71 or an 8-71 for that matter. When I was thinking about doing it my plan was to buy a twin screw kenne bell (for say a 03-04 cobra) and build a custom aluminum intake mainold. You could fabricate the intake plates to the head (port matched) then build the runners to a central chamber where the opening at the top would match the lower opening of the supercharger. You all know how that is though... great ideas and no funds to do it lol. If you really looking to supercharge I would look into other ways such as just buying a Procharger or Vortech. It's going to be alot more cost effective.

6. fast 93 z

The runners should line up ok but they will have to drill it to fit the heads or weld up the bolt holes in the heads and re-drill the heads for it to bolt to.

7. Driveitlikeustoleit

Just a thought to add to fill the holes
    locktite and cut the bolts of flush.

8. Zspoiler

Have you thought of a mini blower from Weiand and or B & M. I have a 142 cubic inch Weiand blower with acustom built 377 cubic inch small block. It makes close to 500 HP at the rear wheel . And have you talked to the manufacturer of which blower you prefer.About a intake to fit your heads.

image2.jpg #ad

image5.jpg #ad

9. Driveitlikeustoleit

I have a B&M 144 Teflon bladed Supercharger for a car sitting in my bathroom floor.
    With a terrible itch to see it sticking out of the hood of my 97 Camaro Z28.
    Bolted to my LT1 heads With a fat thick crushed steel ring gasket to get the compression as close to 9 to 1 as possible.
    I think my LT1 heads would be perfect ,cam would be good to start.
    Intakes would be perfect to pack the cylinders.
    Exaust would even be better.
    The down fall of roots style blowers for a LT1 the screws have given them a bad rap.
    from what Ive read they run out of steam early and being over driven.
    A centerfugul blower being over driven even more.
    And the gas is going in the engine from the wrong side of the supercharger.
    Gasoline is the best intercooler going through the blower directly.
    The same for a NOS setup it super cools the fuel and air mixture ,makes the air super dense.
    and packs the charge in the cylinder.
    And these super turbos are running 1700 degrees.
    Even with a intercooler they will be short lived.
    I would like to see a big double turbo go 6 races back to back with no time in the middle to cool them.LOL
    I dont think theyd last 3 races.LOL
    With a good gap on the rings hyper pistons that dont swell with heat, anti pump up lifters 400 pound comp springs and crane gold rockers,
    My little 350 with half hollow filled with epoxy I think valves pushed impressive power through outrages rpms.
    I couldnt punch it in the dirt without it being in drive.
    In 1st gear gear it would hit 10000 rpm before you could hit the shifter,
    In a full time 4 wheel drive in high lock with 308 gears.
    with 33 inch BFGs in a 6000 pound Chevy Blazer.
    When I first built it I was putting it in low lock on the pavement spinning all four tires through all three gears.
    It was amazing ,
    I must have bought 15 drive shafts and 50 sets of ujoints .
    before I got tired of breaking my truck.
    My kids named our truck black thunder.

10. Driveitlikeustoleit

Im not sure if the computor would run the opti spark keeping in time with the blower.
    Id need someone realy smart working on it with me.
    I would carve a hole in my dash and windsheild in a heartbeat for a distributor.

11. Zspoiler

You have have the engine built from the ground up .To run it for a decent amount of time. I used to run mine as my daily driver .Until I decided to make it a "toy". Mine has a custom carb. But you could run an aftermarket fuel injection .And a MSD and or Crane HI-6TR .And bypass your factory computer. I also built the rest of my car to handle the horsepower. If you are going to play you are going to pay one way or another.

12. mullettcar

you just need to get longer center bolts and drill the holes (oblong the holes) in the intake at the right angle then make some wedges to put on top of the intake at the center holes and bolt it down sounds complicated but its not before edelbrock made the performer intake for the lt1 guys just did as i described with the old school intakes.

13. Zspoiler

Bad Idea .There s an awful lot of pressure when you do that,and with all the blower set ups out there ,Just get the right kit ,When you decide to do it.

image2.jpg #ad

14. Driveitlikeustoleit

actually my B&M is for a 85 and later that has the two middle bolts angled all ready but I dont think thats the LT1 2nd gen bolt pattern.
    and the drilling new holes is do able .
    and wedges.
    And it would hold the pressure No prob ,
    But I was looking at where the wind sheild and where wiper is Im pretty sure Id have to cut out body window and wiper mount
    for carb and air cleaner.
    The airodynamic windsheild just sticks out to far forward.
    And I got the low pro manafold that fits under most hoods.
    So its a no go on my Z28.
    Bummer .
    So the blower is headed for my 82 GMC Diablo.
    But I will Find a Blower for my Z28.

15. Zspoiler

Maybe something like a whipple type supercharger? .Or something that will fit under a stock hood.?

16. Brad97

Machined a MoTown gen 1 single plane to fit LT1 AFr heads. 2 new 3/8 - 16 holes in the center of the head.
    Modified existing manifold SP holes in the corners (used blind hole spot-ers for center points). Redrilled manifold for 3/8 bolts at LT1 head bolt hole angle.

Fabbed 15 to 17 degree round tube shims to correct the LT1 angles bolt holes (qty - 8).

Cut off Gen 1 coolant neck and plugged holes for no leaks.

Used same intake gaskets. No leaks. 17 psi with a F1A procharger.
    I prefer the SP manifold over the LT1. Flows better.
    Fabbed a 4 inch tube to fit the 4150 SP manifold flange.
    Use a Tpis mono blade throttle body.

Hope this helps. 1997 Camaro SS M6 383.