Upgrading stock speakers in a 2000 - install questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by Desert Rat, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Desert Rat

I need some pointers on removing interior panels to replace the stock speakers...Door, B Pillar, and rear hatch area.

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Desert Rat

To add, I think I have the monsoon stereo, but I'm not sure (how do I tell?)

I read through the Monsoon explained article in the articles section and it left me a little more confused. The 'sail panel' speakers in mine sound horrible...the article says those are 2ohm speakers, and I'm guessing they were replaced with a set of 4ohm units and probably can't take the juice under that impedence. I need to ID a good set of replacement speakers (Infinity?) that will sound good and eliminate the wooden spoon in a cardboard box sound I'm getting from those center speakers. I also read about running another wire from the tweeter in the back to a tweeter in the sail panel speakers (assuming those are just subs now), but is that set of Infinity 62.7i speakers and don't run the tweet wiring, would it not just utilize the woofer on that speaker?

I'm hoping there's an audio guru here to help me sort this all out.

3. Spyderking69

look on the stereo it should have so writing ont he front...what does it say?

4. Desert Rat

OK, says Monsoon on it, so there you go.

I'm not wanting to install subs...am just looking for good sound from speakers in the stock locations.

Also, I need a little help on removing those side panels, etc. to get to the speakers without destroying my interior.

All comments welcome.

Thx.

5. Irish350

all of the panels come off pretty easily, just unscrew and screws that you see (not very hidden, usually) and everything else is pretty clip on, and whatnot..

where in mesa are you?

6. Desert Rat

Around Val Vista and Broadway. Where are you?

7. greg_74

I may be doing the same thing pretty some since I asked for new speakers for my birthday which is in less than a month, so I'm curious as well. My sail panel speakers suck bad. Have you looked into how much Infinity speakers cost to replace all of them because I had Infinity in my truck and I was very happy with them.

8. Cheap Guy

9. Unknown

10. LT1 Weezy

You keeping the stock head unit?

11. Desert Rat

Yeah, I'm keeping the stock head unit.

So...

2 ohm speakers in the back seat panels - those are woofers only, right?

Anyone have the Infnity model numbers for the door speakers and the back seat panel speakers?

I have Infinity home speakers and they're the best I've ever owned.

12. Irish350

i go between mclintoc and lakeshore (between rural and mclintoc) and warner and 44th

and i cant really help with the whole monsoon thing, cause my car came with only four speakers stock :shhh:

13. Unknown

I already listed the 2 ohm Infinity speakers in my last post.

14. Desert Rat

Missed that - thanks much

15. Desert Rat

Unknown, one more question - it looks like you can use those KAPPA62.7I's in the doors and the rear seat panels. Since there's no tweeter wiring to the rear seat panels, does that matter? I"d guess it wouldn't...there just wouldn't be any output on those tweets, right?

16. Unknown

They will both work fine, but does the monsoon system have a component system up front? If they do then you can buy these... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebv7rMJ9EUY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=1086020CS of course you can find them for cheaper else where. Though when you buy from them you get the mounting brackets and wire harness for free. I'm not sure how much you are wanting to spend.

Again to make things easier you can buy these from her as well, but you can find them cheaper on ebay, etc.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebv7rMJ9EUY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=1086022SI

I'm actually not too far from you, when you get the stuff and my car is working, etc I'll see if I can't swing buy to give you a hand.

17. Desert Rat

What I've learned reading elsewhere is that the front has a component system, but the speaker set up is like a coax...it has 4 wires going to it - a 2 ohm feed for the midbass, and a 4 ohm feed straight from the head unit to the tweets. However, I understand there is no crossover to remove the highs from the 2 ohm feed, so I could just not hook up the tweeter wires and run the whole speaker off the Monsoon amp for full range.

I chatted with a crutchfield guy and he too recommended those 6022si's, but I see they're just not as much speaker as the 62.7i's, and since that other site had the better speakers for cheaper than Crutchfield has the 6022's, it was a no brainer.

I can't find anyone who sells a separate 6.5" component speaker that doesn't come as a set with a crossover and tweets. Clearly, that would be ideal if one were available.

18. Unknown

I'll see what I can find.

19. Unknown

Tweeters... http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2952

Comps- http://cgi.ebay.com/07-NEW-INFINITY...ryZ32819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Going this way will cost around the same of buying the Kappa 2 ohm components. You could just use the tweeter then just use the 6.5" woofer and then sell the extra tweeters/crossovers.

Or you could just buy a 4 ohm infinity set of components. The tweeter will work fine though you will only get half the power for the woofer seeing as you are running it at 4 ohms instread of 2.

20. Desert Rat

Hmmm....decisions decisions.

I guess using the 2 ways that cost a little less won't cause any harm and should sound equally as good. - just with no highs in the side panels.