Tunning

Discussion in 'V6, I6 and I4 Performance (All Years)' started by ss6532, Nov 16, 2021.

1. ss6532

Need some tunning help with Hptuners, how do I make it the transmission to shift at my redline of 6k. That’s where my rpm settings are set at. But it’s still shifting at 5100-5200 rpm’s. It’s a 4l60e with a transgo shift kit and 3500 stall. Any help appreciated.

Tags:
  2. ss6532

Found some answers on Hptuners, will see if it works tomorrow.

3. ss6532

Found the answer, just set your shifts 4 mph or less on shift points so the transmission meets the mph and rpm settings . I found a transmission write up on Hptuners was really helpful.

4. ss6532

I think my transmission is shot, it won’t rev to redline, stays between 4700-5100 rpm’s . When I go WOT it just revs when it gets to 4700-5100 rpm’s and I don’t accelerate, time for a Performabuilt level one transmission.

5. cardo0

I don't think you would need much of a performance transmission behind a V6. Just a good rebuild with modern clutches & shift kit. Save your hard earned $$ for other mods. If you can tune you don't need a high pressure pump - just raise the pressure in the tune.
    If you have a performance cam then now's the time for a higher stall converter.

Hope this can help ya.

6. ss6532

I’m the original owner bought in Dec. ‘95 have every suspension mod including tub. K and A arms. Motor is built forged pistons , turbo cam , heads intakes, double roller timing chain etc, transmission has Transgo shift kit , vette servo and TCI 3500 stall. Turbo is being installed in January, going to run 10 psi to start and should dyno around 375wrhp. Also with the weight reductions I’m around 3000-3100 lbs. really too many mods to list. I’ve had powerdyne supercharger on it , 150 shot of nitrous but the turbo I think I’m really going to like. I like the 3.8 engine, most of all beating V8’s. Plus I’ve had it almost 26 years and never getting rid of it.

7. ss6532

Also the only 2 mods left to do is a built transmission and rear end. Then I should be done.lol

8. cardo0

Wow! Wow! You have a lot of blood sweat and tears in that car to say the least.
    Nice to hear from you as I have a question I think you can answer. Just got a Spohn tubular K member installed (their the only company that makes one for the V6) and now the car shakes when stopped in drive. I'm told the tubular K member does that due to lack of material. You experience this?

9. ss6532

I have a PA racing tub k , but that’s from 2007, no problems with mine. How were the motor mounts? I didn’t have any issues. transmission mount is another culprit.

10. cardo0

Replaced transmission mount and motor mounts - still shakes. Looked at the PA w/s and their K member doesn't look any beefier. I'm thinking a higher stall converter could change things.
    Thx for the feedback.

11. cardo0

BTW what are you using for a CAI?

12. ss6532

Just a 4”-3” elbow at the tb and 3" tubing to a K&N filter. With the turbo it’s going to be hard to run tubing so don’t have anything special. I did have a SLP intake setup it was nice, don’t know if they make them any more.

13. cardo0

Gonna try and make a 1998-2002 air intake work. I'm betting the hoods are different though and my 97 won't have the clearance.

Thx again.

14. ss6532

Yes the hoods are different along with fenders and front bumper , I’ve seen people convert to a 98+ front ends.

15. ss6532

Found my transmission problem, it was in the tune, last time I take advice on tunning. I’ve been reading up on it on Hptuners so I’ll make some small changes at a time.

16. 4thand26

any updates? how is it working for you?

17. ss6532

So far it’s good, still need to tune it but it’s shifting fine. Need to hit the dyno shop and fine tune it. There’s no open road where I’m at so really can’t open it up. Only can hit 80-90 mph. The track is further than the dyno shop. They closed Speed World which was the closest track to me. I live above the court house and Deputy sub station so have alot of law enforcement around where I live .