tunning problem on my 2001 5.3l

Discussion in 'All Non F-body Tech' started by 4thand26, Feb 6, 2017.

1. 4thand26

About two months ago I restored the custom tune to my truck with your programmer in preparations for getting a custom dyno tune. Last week I was having trouble and I plugged your device in to read the codes. Your device needed to "back up the stock tune " in order to be accessed. I did this and check for codes. When I started the truck it wasn't running properly. I went to the function that said restore back up in order to set the truck back to the way it was. The truck runs fine it has no engine codes and everything is running perfectly. However the truck is not running as strongly as it did with the custom tune and I am not sure what happened.

Tags:
  2. 4thand26

doh! I can't edit it, I used a Diablo Sports programmer

3. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I'm a bit confused, the referrals to you and your sound like you're talking to who you bought it from. Is this a copy/paste of an email you sent to their support?

You say you restored the truck to the backup tune and it doesn't not run as strongly. By backup tune, do you mean the stock truck tune?

4. 4thand26

I screwed up the post and try to clarify. I uninstalled the predator program and had a custom tune done two months ago. I try to use my predator programmer to read the codes. I performed a back up of the tune per the directions on the predator programmer. I've been reloaded the newly recorded back up onto the truck. So my question is would it have saved my custom tune as my "factory back up quote?

5. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Yes, the custom tune would be saved as the "factory stock tune" in that case, whatever is in the PCM when you first connect the device it will assume is from the factory and back it up when prompted to, no matter if it's truly a factory tune or someone else's tune.

As far as power goes, it might be due to adaptive learning. The trucks have adaptive timing, air/fuel ratios and transmission shifting like the cars do, so over time aggressive driving tends to get the adaptive memory into a more aggressive state. But when you put that tune back in, all adaptive is reset... and it has to relearn your driving style again.

4thand26 likes this.
  6. 4thand26

you were 100 percent correct. I was being dumb

7. 4thand26

also, a fun little FYI, i dropped off my truck for a bunch of work and a dyno tune, for info, the guy dynoed it for baseline and after installing electric fans. Picked up 2-3 hp through out the ban. this was not the point of the work, but it is an interesting data point IMO.