tmurph01's build thread

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by tmurph01, Jan 2, 2013.

1. tmurph01

Figured it has been a while since anyone has posted that I would start a thread.

A little back story first though. For years I had a Black, 2000 Z28. The car was an A4 with 120K miles on it. I had put a lot of work into it and received numerous awards from various shows. The thing I enjoyed the most however, was the bond it created with my father and I as he has a black, 2000 SS. This past July, I was travelling to Atlantic City, but as we entered into New Jersey, we had a little run-in with a front wheel hub assembly on the interstate. There was nothing I could do except hit it head on. This resulted in a bent K-Member, busted oil pan, hole in the bell housing, busted transmission, hole in the passenger floor board, and a cracked block. Luckily we were okay, but the car was junked.

I was determined to find the car I have always wanted. A white Z28 with a manual transmission, t-tops, and the appearance package. After a lot of searching, travelling, and let-downs, I was finally able to grab the car that had been evading me. I obtained the car from an extremely nice guy who had a listing on another forum.

Car is a 2001, Arctic White Z28 with manual transmission, t-tops, appearance package, and ebony leather interior from the factory. Previous owner had installed SLP headers, catted y-pipe, Loudmouth exhaust, LS7 Clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, Billet shift forks, bronze pads and bushings, SLP lid and has been tuned.

The look I am going for is a clean, sleek, and subtle look. I am going to go with a "Heritage" style theme.

Here is the car after I got her home and installed my TTMs with anthracite finish off of my old car. I think these fit with the theme and are subtle since they are not chrome:
    [​IMG]#ad

Next, had to get rid of the stock antenna. Found this one online and it works surprisingly well:
    [​IMG]#ad

13 has always been my lucky number, so add the pool ball. Since a lot of the original muscle car guys ran 8 and cue balls, this is my play on that for the heritage theme. (Lou's Short Stick on the way) Also, painted the dash plaque white and moved to the center. One of my more subtle mods:
    [​IMG]#ad

Girlfriend got me these for Christmas from Emblempros. Chrome will work subtly with the white:
    [​IMG]#ad

Future appearance plans include:
    Clear Corners
    Sunoco Hood
    Houndstooth Interior
    Custom Gauges from 6LE (had a set for old car that never got installed, but wont work on this one)
    Tint
    Custom Painted SLP Grill

Will move to suspension and performance once the look is complete.

:cool:

Tags:
  2. Timmz28

dude im totally jealous! im on the hunt for a car now!

3. Bowtiedad_Z28

Nice find Travis. It will be fun watching its progress.

4. tmurph01

Custom rear inserts came in from Emblempros today! These were made to match the badges from the OP.

[​IMG]#ad

And... a little teaser of how they look. Car is dirty, I just mocked these up with scotch tape. Soon as it warms up a little, I will place them permanently on the car along with the badges.

[​IMG]#ad

5. richard96

Looking real nice. I love the theme you have going on. Your new ride is going to be winnning awards soon.
    Congrats on your persistence.

6. BdNflnc

Nice find man! Sorry to hear about the other car, but def glad you guys are ok!!! Looks like a great start. :)
    I know you are wanting to get the appearance right first, and I did see that you mentioned suspension, but once its lowered a bit, it will look sick!
    I realize its suspension, but at the same time, it does kinda fit in with appearance too. ;)

7. tmurph01

Glad to still see you around on here Landon! Yeah, I am going to lower her a little bit, not a lot because of practicality, but just enough.

Luckily we escaped the accident alright. It had potential to be really bad. Was a front wheel hub in the interstate, in a pack of cars and couldn't avoid it or slam on the brakes, so I just had to straddle it. It lifted the car of the ground, but luckily did not throw it to the side any and I was able to maintain control. Damage included cracked bell housing, busted oil pan, ruined transmission, bent k-member, and cracked block. There was also a hole in the passenger floor board, but luckily it never came through. There was a total of 7 cars that hit it, but mine was the worst damage wise. we believe when I hit it, I busted it into smaller pieces. Here are the pics after it happened, sadly these were the last pics of her. She looked perfect on the outside...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. tmurph01

Clear markers installed. Sorry for the crappy pics. I didn't realize the camera was on shutter priority and they were overexposed.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Project grill should be here tomorrow.

9. tmurph01

Wasn't happy about the quality of the previous pics, so I went and took some better ones.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Soon as it warms up I will be installing the new badges and inserts. Should start the work on the project grill this week!

10. BdNflnc

The clear lenses made a HUUUUUGE diference! I like it!

Man, that really sucks about your other car... you're right. it does look nice on the top side.

11. Timmz28

looks like it needs to be lowered a little!

12. tmurph01

Got the inserts and badges on today:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Also started on the grill. There is a separate thread on this in projects, so I won't post pics of it here.

13. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of white cars, but that car is clean! Nice job, keep it up.

14. tmurph01

Installed the ws6store short stick. I will more than likely take it back off and heat it up and put a bend in it to mimic the pro 5.0 slant.

Pro 5.0 vs. ws6store short stick
    [​IMG]#ad

Stick installed:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Also took some overall car pics with the badges installed.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Hopefully we will have the grill done within the next two weeks.

15. Timmz28

DUDE im loving the car! looks great!

16. egott_91

Needs tint and lowering springs, BAD! Haha.

Other than that, looks good!

17. richard96

Great job on the badges, love that.

18. tmurph01

Thanks guys. Tint is coming as soon as it warms up a little bit. As far as lowering her,.. as much as I would love too, it already hits in some areas and I need to look at the practicality of driving it.. so IDK...

19. Mr.Squeelerz

Looks sharp! The badges are a very nice touch.

20. tmurph01

***UPDATE***

Heated up the short stick and put a bend in it,.. this should be perfect now:

[​IMG]#ad

Big shout out to Maxplusten (member on tech) for all his hard work on the grill. It's not all the way finished yet, but here it is with paint...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Can't wait to get the grill finished and on the car. The silver matches the color of the wheels almost perfect. SO glad I did this color instead of black as I think it will look a lot better and cleaner.