Tire slime question... need help asap

Discussion in 'Z Lounge' started by 96firepigeon, Feb 9, 2009.

1. 96firepigeon

i just put low pro's on my 18's for my car and there streched to fit on it... well i got home and i notice one is flat so i fill it up with air and its leaking... from the back bead in a certain spot.... i was going to take the car on a 3 hour ride tomorrow so i was wondering... do you think tire slime would fix that or do you think i need to put that mounting goup on it. the tire was going on real hard... took 3 pry bars while using a tire machine and we used pb blaster to get the tire on the rim... if you put the rim ont he ground and put your wieght on a certain area on the tire and push hard it will leak slightly theng o away.. . so my guess is its not seeting right... now keep in mind the tire is narrower than the rim for fitment purposes... but the other side works fine... we didnt use pb blaster on that tho even though i think it shouldnt make a difference... anyway i wanted to take that car so i wouldnt have to drive my truck and i was wondering if the slime would fix my problem?

Tags:
  2. MasterZ Staff Alumni

I personally wouldnt put that in my tires...

I would bring it back to who ever mounted/balanced the tires and have them fix it.

3. Chris

Ditto,

It sounds like they damaged the tire or didnt know how to properly use the machine

4. 96firepigeon

well.... ha ha me and the machanic did it... and it went on a lot easier than the other one... but this one leaks... i dont understand they were a used set of tires tho.... hmmm damnit i dont know

5. 96firepigeon

which makes me think it had something to do with the pb blaster... cuz the side that doesnt leak an ounce we used normal tire stuff on it

6. Chris

Break the bead clean it up and put some bead sealer on it ?

7. MasterZ Staff Alumni

I would break it down and make sure you didnt puncture the tire using the pry bars...

or there could possibly be some trash in the bead causing it not to seal correctly...

The tires were used, are you sure there wasnt another hole in it else where? have you checked it with soapy water?

8. Gatorhead

definitely not safe to drive on like that, you are asking for trouble if you do.

+1 on the soapy water.

9. Reverend Drew

I'd only ever use tire slime in an ATV or lawn mower tire. I mean, if little wheel weights make a difference in balance, I can imagine that thick goop would do something similar. Clean the bead (maybe brake cleaner or carb cleaner?) and try to reseat it with soapy water. <><

*Edit* And don't forget to remove the needle in the valve stem when you try to reseat the tire, otherwise you'll probably never get it to catch.

10. Mase

Take it back and have them break it back down and reseal the breads and make sure theres not another leak. Its probley nothing sometimes tires just dont sit right the first time they are mounted.
    And low profile 18's are going to be a hard tire to mount. You dont have ant flexablity in the sidewalls since they are so thin and they will fight you every inch of the way. When I mounted mine (Yes me personly, I have the tools) I ended up having a 160psi in the tires and hitting them with a hammer to make them sit right.

11. Me-109

To mount tires like this, a special rim clamp machine is needed and it makes the job a breeze. When seating the bead of a tire no more than 45 psi maximum should be used. At 160 psi, you are darned lucky it didn't explode and blow your head off. It's happened. For your own safety, don't exceed 45 psi.

12. Mase

I know I work in a garage. I know 160 is not safe but after spending a week trying to get the bread to pop I had to do something.

13. rolling thunder

Never use the tire slime sealer stuff. It works great in alot of cases for a temp fix make no mistake but once that stuffs in there that tire can never be patched after that. Its kinda silly when you think about it you use it to temproarily repair a hole in the tire (thats about a $15 repair) but in the process you ruin your tire completely. Now your $15 repair is up to the price of atleast 2 tires.

14. Me-109

By the way, to the original poster, with the bead of the tire not seating, with all the musceling, prybars etc., that was done to mount the tire, it is possible that the bead itself was broken, especially being a used tire.

15. d94z28

i would say broken bead aswell or maybe you damged it some how. also a little trick that we use when we mount c-130 wheels and other airplane tires is to use a little soapy water and work the evenly around the wheel it might go on much easier this time. also take the valve core out of the stem. cause if you dont your trying to force the tire on with the air providing the restance against you.