Tire Rant

Discussion in 'Z Lounge' started by Gatorhead, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Gatorhead

So I am in need of two sets of tires for my Z and the formula. Currently the Formula has been my DD but I almost have the z ready to rock! The sidewalls on the formy have tears that go all the way around the rim about 2" up, and frankly my butt puckers everytime I have to drive it.
    I asked for advice on here where to buy and what to buy etc and so I have been looking for awhile and these things are far from cheap lol. Just out of curiosity and knowing how rough things are financially around my town I started to call around to get some quotes, rather I had the wife calling to get quotes.
    First place argues with her telling her that the car came stock with 15" tires and that they also had 17" tires on the Formula?????? Nope not the case both have stock 245/50/16's. I also told her that they came with a 235/55/16 so that could be the only other option but I preferred the 245's. So she calls them back and they tell her to go somewhere else that she is boneheaded:chuckles:
    Second place tells here it is buy 3 get one free. They are for a nexxen tire, never heard of them before, but anyways out the door it was 602.$$:dizzy: That fourth tire woulda been expensive as hell lol Oh and they said they had a helluva deal on a corvette motor.......an lg4 305 :rotflmao:
    Yet another place had a smoking hot deal. Buy one get one free. Tires were 124 each so I am thinking SCORE! Well the out the door price ended up being $537.00:thinking: Now is it me or is my math bad? Even if you rounded it up to 150 each thats 237 to mount and balance the tires?????
    Anyways I could go on with the rest of the ones all with similar results but bottom line is I let my temper get the best of me and I start calling them back aound and I ask for the managers. I try getting them to explain the prices, then tried to get them down and with no effect whatsoever. I then begin to tell them how I shop online for the same product or better and can get a tire and rim for the same price as they want for a tire. That money is tight everywhere and I AM GONNA SPEND MINE ELSEWHERE. The majoroty of them disagreed that I could get a tire for less than $100 online, and if I could they wouldn't be the same quality:cussing: None of the tires were anything special that was there bottom of the barrel tire mind you, the best was a kumho........
    I hope they all go out of business lol. Yall have a great day and sorry for the rant, it was bugging me :)

Tags:
  2. Chris

Before I went to school ( since I can use the balancer there ) I would just buy them online and bring them to wal-mart for 10 bucks a tire and even though I didnt buy the tires there they still let me buy the tire replacment if the tire gets damaged

3. 96 Z-Ragtop

Hows does $375ish sound for 4?

4. bigperm93TA

thats pretty cheap, i know i paid about $550 for new tires (out the door) and they where the cheapest i could find in town. its stupid because when i got my new rims, the tires for them where (245/40/18,275/35/19) they only cost me about $450, and i got them online thats including shipping:thinking:

5. VetteC5RFrEak

I had paid $412 for the 235/50/16's that are on my 'maro now out the door when I went to Americas Tire Co. The guy originally gave me a quote of like $470 out the door, he seen the look on my face, he did some fudging and said $412 was as low as he could go. Ironically, $412 was exactly what I had in my wallet (I didn't even know how much I had in my wallet haha). BTW, they were BFGoodrich T/A's.

I did pick up some 275/40/zr17 Nitto 555's off of this site from a fellow member for $450. They still had the stickers on them and never been mounted or balanced. I plan to mount and balance them myself, so no cost. there. It might sound sketchy, but check out a junk yard, especially on a half price day. My Dad has scored some pretty nice tires for really cheap. I picked up a set of Firestones for like $80 or so for my girl's car. They have lasted a good year and a half thus far.

Another route I have heard of, but never tried. Find out what new cars have the same size tire. Go rent that car from a rental company. Swap tires from their rims to yours and yours to theirs. Then return the car. The rental would be what, $100 max for a day?

6. niknik

Dang Gator, that sucks, but for what it's worth that's way cheaper than what I ended up paying for my Michelin's...

I think Chris's suggestion is the best so far.. Just order them online and take them to walmart for mount and balance.

7. Bryan99hoss

tirerack.com

thats where I buy all the tires I have except the mickeys!

8. Gatorhead

Thats not bad at all depending on what kind etc.

Yeah I have been looking there too, they are alright on prices but when you check into the mounting and balancing they aren't as good as they seem.

I have been checking out quite a few sites that have tire/rim packages for about 100-150 more than what just the tires cost. I will keep yall posted ;)

9. Bryan99hoss

ahhh See I have the hardware to do that myself in the shop

10. greg_74

That sounds slightly illegal to me...

I talked to Tire Barn about how much it would cost to remove tires and mount and balance them and they said like $12 a wheel/tire. So it should be $100 or less to have that done (removal of all 4 tires and new ones put on)

11. VetteC5RFrEak

Yea, it is illegal I am sure haha. I was just putting it out there haha.

12. Screamin95Z28LT1

How about 150$ for all four :) I love working at a tire shop. I get tires for 10% above cost and i get to browse on which ones i want.

13. Greg Norris

I paid ~$1,000.00 for all 4 of my tires.

295/35/18 BFG T/A g-force KDW's in the rear were 300.00 each with balancing and mounting at Gerald's Tires with a 20,000 mile warranty

275/40/17 Khumo somthing-or-others were ~$400.00 with balancing, mounting and a custom alignment after I lowered the car at Sears. with a 25,000 mile warranty.

I really like the Khumos, but I love the BFG's and will gladly spend out the ass on them again. but one thing to look into is how much places charge to remove and replace tires. Geralds charges 10 bucks off, 10 bucks on. (might have been $15... dont remember) and balancing is included with any tire purchase.

14. ricehammer

Keep an eye on the Tire Rack. Occasionally they will run specials on their tires. I picked up 2 BF Goodrich 235/70/15's for $150 including shipping. Spent another $20 for mounting and balancing. All the local shops around here wanted >=$200 for their cheapest set mounted and balanced.

Just a thought ;).

15. egott_91

Nexen 3000 or w/e aren't that bad of a tire. They have a decent tread. We had them on my step-dads Fiero and they didn't have any vibrations at all.

Look on tirerack, you can get some pretty good deals from them. Also, you should be able to get a place to mount and balance them for cheaper, just keep searching.

16. ricehammer