Throttle Body Upgrade Questions

Discussion in '3rd Gen Camaro (1982-1992 Camaro)' started by Snake Hunter, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Snake Hunter

Hi all. I have a few questions about throttle bodies. First before I waste your time answering the rest of my questions, will a larger throttle help with a naturally aspirated engine, 1990 Camaro 350?

If the answer is yes, I see on Summit Racing their store brand 58mm TBs are $40 - $100 less than BBK, Professional Products and Holley TBs. Is the Summit brand any good?

Then there's the physical fit of the intake to it, how to you get around it being bigger and still getting it to fit to the intake tube?

Last, what changes, if any, need to be made in the tune?

Tags:
  2. TSAEB

I never saw people gain much with bigger throttle bodies unless the engine had serious modifications

I would think maybe after a fully ported intake manifold, headers and better cai/ram air. If you are serious on getting a bigger tb then just wait
    to buy a used one. I bought a monoblade tb for 75 shipped. That was a steal but a bigger tb for 150 shipped and under is possible.

How much are the bigger tbs you are looking at going for?

drknow90rs likes this.
  3. drknow90rs

I agree with TSAEB 100% on that. The biggest restriction IMO are the heads. If you get say, vortec heads, cam with bigger lift and bigger intake (Base) and then siamesed runners then I am sure you will benefit from a larger TB. I would go monoblade for sure.