Thought on doing front struts on my Malibu

Discussion in 'All Non F-body Tech' started by NastyZ, Jun 12, 2020.

1. NastyZ

Hay guys after a 970.00 bill on my front control arms....i am fed up with "mechanics". I told him i needed front struts and motor mounts..... motor is rocking and banging bad,etc
    He says nahhhh, front struts are fine and ahows me i needed both front control arms....which i did. Also both front stabilizer links and , proceeds to tell me this will fix the noises ,etc...w

Pick the car up....engine still banging....car still rattling over bumps..... floating down the road. Grrrrrrrrr.... then he tells me ya.....struts are shot. ...are you kidding me....

Enough whineing sorry...needed to vent.

So now i am picking up my front struts. ...and doing them with a buddy (who can turn the wrenches for me). Basically there are 3 top bolts.... and two bigger bolts that go to the spindle i believe. Now I know them bottom bolts are cammed...so you can effect the alignment. ...so i know to lign them up as close as they were.

Anything else I should know about putting these in?

Tags:
  2. CubanDaddy

U can use white out or some kind of paint to get close That way ur not way off. Make sure u have the spring clamps to compress the springs. It makes it easier and safer.

NastyZ likes this.
  3. NastyZ

Alrighty found the bottom strut nuts....dont need any special aligning

4. NastyZ

Nah, gona use the quick struts. ...all assembled. ...just a re and re.... seems there is no hidden issues to this...like alignment ,etc. So its just a matter of unbolting...then bolting back i

CubanDaddy likes this.
  5. CubanDaddy

Ah. Ok. Wasn’t sure which way u were going. I have to do my fiancées van. It isn’t fun. I have to do her rear suspension also which is super easy. Have fun and don’t get frustrated.

NastyZ likes this.
  6. NastyZ

Just watched a real time youtube vid on it.... he swore alot lmao....but the front looked super easy....real time it took him 15 min (wow)....and he did it right i the street lol

7. CubanDaddy

I use my yard for most stuff. Garage if it’s cold. American vehicles and certain Japanese ones are easy to work on for the most part. German cars and me fight a lot.

8. mullettcar

i used quick struts on a malibu i had right in a walmart parking lot good thin.g i was on my way to walmart at the time the coil snapped and the front of the car dropped on the exit to the local walmart .
    so i went over to the parts store got a quick strut and bought a cheap socket set at walmart and a black cat jack and did it in about 15 min in the cold not bad at all.

NastyZ likes this.
  9. NastyZ

I am just sick of how these things are designed now... dumbasses. I have never changed a front a arm or comteol arm on a car before. ....I am on my 4th one on this car....250 a peice.... and 1.5h labour each (ripoff)

10. mullettcar

ya they are bad for it i had to do the A arm the bolt fell out of the bottom when i was on the highway and i hit the brakes and scared the poop out of myself when the car twisted sideways as the front wheel cocked from putting on the brakes missing a Aarm bolt.

NastyZ likes this.
  11. CubanDaddy

I’ve replaced a few. It is a pain. Prices are a little cheaper I found on the internet vs the stores. That’s the only reason I don’t mind the repairs. It just sucks tho in general.

mullettcar likes this.
  12. NastyZ

Well, struts are in and all done. Needed a second jack to raise the bottom control arm back up....to reconnect the top stabilizer link. But other than that.... both sides done in a gravel driveway in an hour. Easy peazy lemon squeezy

mullettcar and CubanDaddy like this.