this will scare most of you but it works

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by mullettcar, Oct 14, 2018.

1. mullettcar

I thought i would show you all what i do to my 95 z28 original paint to keep it shiny and smooth to the touch.
    as with most cars that have original paint when you touch your car it has some gritty feeling to the paint from years of dust and sap and road tar etc.
    well here is what i do to solve that and yes this will scare the crap out of some of you but trust me i have done this for years and some of you spend a lot of time with clay bars and other things to get the same results.

first i take some ACETONE yes i said acetone lol scared yet
    i put a little on a scott paper towel and start wiping a section of my car eg fender or hood etc
    20181014_141839.jpg #ad
    20181014_141847.jpg #ad

once and awhile adding more acetone i rub the whole panel down looking for bumps and clumps or specs of tar or sap etc rubbing them all away.
    next i spray the area with foaming window cleaner
    20181014_142016_Burst01.jpg #ad

wipe it dry
    20181014_142144.jpg #ad

then i use a fast wax spray
    20181014_142322.jpg #ad

and wipe it smooth and shiny
    20181014_142418.jpg #ad

here are some other panels
    20181014_142907.jpg #ad

20181014_142836.jpg #ad

i know some will say its crazy but if your paint is old 10 plus years you have nothing to fear acetone flashes dry so fast and the paint has cured for many years so in the time it takes you to rub all the crap off your car piece by piece all your doing is lifting years of wax and grime off your car and bringing back the original clean shine. i use the foaming window cleaner on my whole car after washing it every time it stop you from getting water spots all you have to do is wash your car let it dry then spray your car down with foaming window cleaner and wipe it down no spots any where and then if you want spray it with quick wax or detailer and you will have a shiny car.
    thanks for reading.
    by the way i have only ever cleaned my harley with foaming window cleaner never used water or got my bike wet and it shines like new.
    emmacar2.jpg #ad

Tags:
    xerts1191 likes this.
  2. mullettcar

oh ya and trust me when i tell you when you run your fingers across your fender and feel how smooth the paint feels you will love it

3. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

That is basically the chemical application to a good cut and buff. But compounding is mechanical. You are virtually removing a very thin layer of the clearcoat every time you wipe it with the acetone hence the dull look afterwards. Then the wax brings back the shine. You have to be really careful with that method but you are right, it can and does work. Just use extreme caution. I won't do it because I like to feel how the pad is cutting, and I just don't get that feeling with a paper towel.

4. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I use a light cut compound myself, for the same reasons Tony mentioned. I also have some really good stuff I use which doesn't cut until it warms up on paint, so you have to use a buffer to build up heat, and it's nearly impossible to overdo it with it. If I need to get rid of anything sticky like tar I use a bug and tar remover.

If it works for you, great, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of using a solvent like acetone on car paint.

5. mullettcar

that is the reason i said 10 plus yr old paint job it has cured and had so many washes and coats of wax and crap over the years that the acetone isnt even getting to the paint it is just stripping a small layer of wax and crap off the car surface and then the foaming window spray cleans any residue which there isnt much of because acetone evaporates the second its exposed to the air ,
    its wet on the paper towel but once you stop wiping you can see it vanish thus is why i know its not dangerous on 10 yr old paint
    i work with alot of chemicals acetone is one that people are not really up on the capabilities of it (eg if you use it with lacquer paint as a thinner the lacquer will dry the second it hits the car.)
    i am by no means telling anyone to put acetone on their car just stating what i do in the show and shine thread lol.
    im sure there are some old school lacquer hot rod painters here that will back my statement .
    the speed of making my car shine is well worth any risk some might think there is .
    i dont do it all the time but every couple years or so when i start feeling my paint having crap on it.