Summer's Project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by KYWes, May 17, 2023.

1. KYWes

This has actually been an ongoing project for 18 months. In July of 2020 I attended the High Speed Driving Course at NCM Motorsports. This is the track across the interstate from the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. The course was very enjoyable and instructive. I guess I need to go again as I put my '95Z into the wall on two occasions damaging the left quarter panel, rear bumper cover and front bumper cover.

I was able to drive home and I began the process of getting the body fixed. I learned most of the body shops only want to do insurance repairs that are in and out within a week and the shops that do real body repair are backed up for months. I did managed to get one ballpark quote of $8,000 and could start in six months or so.

Pondering on things I realized I could buy another Camaro relatively cheaply and on the hunt I went. I managed to find a '96 RS for sale just south of Nashville, TN for $3,500. I took the 2.5 hour trip and checked it out. It was identical in appearance to my '95 Z28. After a test drive I bought it and brought it home.

I then proceeded to gutting the interior. After everything was out I put Noico sound deadening mat all through the interior. Then I moved my carpet, seats and door panels from my Z to the RS. As I'm looking for parts for the car I come across David T's Camaro and Firebird parts in Alberta, Canada. This guy has tones of F-bodies so I ventured a query. Those of you who've tracked Camaros for a long time will remember that RK Sports used to sell a roll bar for the 93-97 Camaros. It's more decorative than functional but I've always wanted one. So I asked David T if he may perchance have one. The answer I expected came back, "N0."

So I told him if he ever comes across one to let me know. Low and behold I get an email about a month later saying he's got one to sell complete with the notched back seat panels. "I'll take it!" I said. We work out price and shipping from Canada to Louisville and within a few weeks, I have my rollbar and for the gravy on the biscuits, it's the same color as my interior!

So my interior is pretty much ready to go. I recently installed LED bulbs in the rear passenger side panels. The original bulbs get hot enough to melt the plastic. I replaced them more for the heat problem then the looks but I like the bright white light too.

My rear view mirror had the reflective surface missing on the top of mine so I removed it to put the one from the RS in. Then I began to wonder about putting LED bulbs in the mirror. Yep they were available so I ordered them. Unfortunately in the process of disassembling the mirror I cracked the RS mirror. Back to the Z mirror. I went to a couple of glass companies to see if they could cut me a new mirror. They don't but also one of the problems is that the mirror is not the same thickness for the whole mirror. The top is thicker than the bottom. They definitely couldn't do that. I asked if they could recommend a good paint for the back of the glass to make the glass a mirror. Nope, they didn't. I then found a Rust-o-leum product at my local, orange big box home improvement center. I purchase it, cleaned the mirror really well, and applied the spray. It's better but it's not as good as OEM. However most people won't notice. I install the LED bulbs, put the mirror back together and now I've got bright white map lights on my mirror.

I have begun transferring my Z drivetrain to the RS. So far I've got the engine and transmission out. I hope to get the rear end pulled this

To be continued with pictures.

Tags:
  2. mullettcar

nice david T is a buddy of mine i have known him for 15 yrs i sometimes get parts from him but he is pricey lol
    he has 15 acres of camaro's and about 10 buildings with parts if its camaro parts you need he is the biggest suppier around
    looking forard to some pictures

KYWes likes this.
  3. KYWes

Well, I forgot this site won't let you edit after an hour or so. This is a continuation of my original post.

I hope to pull the rear end out this weekend. If you check my signature you will probably realize why I'm going to so much trouble. I've got a lot invested in this car and I want use of it. Last time on the dyno it registered 424 HP and 475 ft/lbs torque. I'm eager to feel that under my control again. I wrecked it before I could get to the 1/4 mile track.

Additionally, I upgraded the front brakes to LS1 brakes. I added a Meizere EWP, Adjustable clutch master cylinder, Racetronix fuel pump, Adjustable torque arm, and QA1 adjustable front suspension among other odds and ends.

I'll upload some pictures of the lighting tonight and add more tomorrow of the roll bar. I added another bulb to my taillights and LED bulbs.

2023-05-17-21-50-21.jpg 2023-05-17-21-49-50.jpg

2023-05-17-21-49-59.jpg #ad

2020-10-13-12-21-17.jpg #ad

2020-04-02-15-45-24.jpg #ad

2020-06-20-21-00-37.jpg #ad

2020-04-17-15-13-48.jpg #ad

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  4. KYWes

You're right, he's pricey. And you're right that if you need something he's probably got it!

5. mullettcar

ya i did the LS brake swap a couple years ago and david charged me $500 for the spindles calipers and drilled and slotted rotors and im a friend but its all worth it in the long run

6. KYWes

Few more pictures to post. These are of the roll bar made by RK Sports many years ago that I scored from David Ts in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The piece of wood is a cradle I made for the rear end. Pulling the read end is next on my list. I'll put this cradle on a hydraulic table to support the rear end while I unbolt it. Then I lower the table and roll it away until I'm ready to install it in the RS.

2023-05-20-20-21-05.jpg #ad

2023-05-20-20-21-12.jpg #ad

2023-05-20-20-21-23.jpg #ad

2023-05-20-20-21-37.jpg #ad

2023-05-20-20-25-02.jpg #ad

7. mullettcar

dude that roll bar looks awesome

8. ss6532

Nice, yeah I remember RK Sport, when I first bought my 1996 Camaro new Dec. 1995 , first mod was their ground effects and spoiler. Then got their lowering springs and muffler. Still have the ground effects on. I always liked that light bar. Nice job.