Stripping paint off rims?

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by BLURR, Feb 26, 2011.

1. BLURR

Im getting my TTII's back cause Im just not digging the look of my car with the stock SS rims. Well I want to strip the paint I put on them off and repolish them back out. Question I have is what can I use and how should I go about getting the paint off without damaging the rims surface? Also since I sanded the spokes down to make the paint stick. Will those sanding scratches polish out?

Here they are after I painted them.

[​IMG]#ad

Tags:
  2. richard96

Wire wheel, just get a soft wire like brass. Then you polish them out.

3. MasterZ Staff Alumni

since you sanded them down I think you are gonna be in for quite a chore..it is possible to do but is going to be very time consuming. Getting in all the nooks and crannies will be the tuff part.

Since they appear to be in good shape, why not try to sell them and buy a set of polished ones? just a thought.

4. Spyderking69

the easiest way would be to try and find someone in your area that can can dip them to take the paint off, we have a compnay here who dips metals and furniture to take old paint and stains off

5. Bowtiedad_Z28

^Right there is the ticket, but you are in for a lot of work after that is done. Sanding and sanding with finer and finer sand paper. 1000>1500>2000 grit. Then repolishing them out. I am leaning more to Jasons idea of selling those and buying someones polished ones. There are alot of them forsale on the fifferent boards.

6. MasterZ Staff Alumni

even if it does cost a hundred or so difference to get some polished ones, the materials, time and effort it would take to polish them would be worth it IMO... course I am lazy like that sometimes..lol

7. BLURR

I would love to do that but unfortunatly I cant afford the couple hundred difference. So I am gonna have to do the hard work.

8. digi7al ph0enix Staff Alumni

I think what Jason was suggesting is that after you have all the money in materials invested to try and save your current rims you'll end up spending just as much as you would have if you had sold them and bought polished rims. I can understand not wanting or being able to shell out money on top of whatever you could sell the rims for but I have to agree and say you'll end up putting more into the rims you have now than it would cost to buy another set.

Polishing metal is a very time consuming process that will cost you a fair amount in the long run in sanding and polishing supplies. Polishing a wheel isn't like buffing paint. With paint there are products and tricks you can use to help get the perfect shine. With wheels all you have is the bare metal to work with and there is no way to hide scratches and imperfections, you just have to polish them more and more to get them worked down to so small you can't see them with the naked eye. After all the sanding and polishing is done you may have to clear coat each wheel to prevent rust from forming as well so that's another step in the process and more supplies you may need.

Have you thought about trying to find someone to trade you straight up for your wheels? I'd imagine there has to be someone out there who would prefer the look of your wheels but doesn't want to put in the time or money to paint them just like you are looking to go back to the stock look of the wheel.

9. masonb51

Well I cannot add to the ideas on this thread but if you are lookin to sell the SS rims or the ones oyu pictured please let me know cuz I am in the market for new rims for the Z!

10. BLURR

Well I am looking for a set of Pro Stars or Welds. Either one will do. Dont have to have tires on them. Ill run my salad shooters until I get tires.

11. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

:werd: Its going to be a task, but you can use some paint stripper, and then sand them down using various grades to get the sand scratches out, and then polish with a flitz wheel and various grit compounds.