Static sound out of front speakers and a click out of rear factory speakers

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by PeteD, Nov 21, 2020.

1. PeteD

SO years ago I purchased a Blaupunkt head unit ,2 JBL sail panel speakers , JL audio 12 inch sub, as well as the mounting kit and wire adaptor so that it would work with my factory Bose system from Crutchfield. Over the past several years I have started noticing a hiss out of the front Bose speakers over the past couple years. nothing bad. but now it has changes into a static sound after a few seconds of having it on. It used to be intermittent but now is pretty much constant. Also the driver's side will go in and out of working at times. And recently the rear factory speaker has started clicking. What do you guys think it could be? Could it be the amps? If so is there a way to check them? I think the factory ones are 2 ohms and a lot of people have had issues when trying to keep the factory ones in. But I did put in the harness for the factory ones to be able to work. You can hear the noise at 16:48 in the video.

Any ideas?

Camaro Time gives thanks and an unboxing - YouTube

Tags:
  2. Ron Morgan

Call Crutchfield they are a wealth of knowledge. I have been purchasing from them for 30+ years. Tech support is awesome.
    upload_2020-11-21_20-34-5.png #ad

upload_2020-11-21_20-32-59.png #ad

3. PeteD

Doubt they would help me much because it was years ago when I bought the stuff from them

4. Ron Morgan

I think your problem is the speaker. Old paper cone speaker. Bose speakers sound great but power handling is a problem. That Blaupunkt head unit probably has twice the rms power of the Delco am fm cassette. It sounds like burnt voice coil. Try hooking speaker up to another source like a walkman or a boom box. This will isolate the problem. Hope this helps.
    Crutchfield has Kenwood and MTX replacements for $40 free shiping. Amazon is probably even cheaper?

5. PeteD

Thanks will def try. That is the whole purpose of the wiring harness. So the factory speakers only get the signal but no power

6. M1dniterider

I’m thinking you’re probably right about the amps, like you said in the video. Especially with it not being noticeable till it’s warmed up.

As for the noise from the sub, what you described in the video would be clipping. I didn’t hear it, but I’m watching on my phone. Should be able to lower the gain on the amp powering the sub to get rid of that. But, if it’s been installed and sounding right for several years, and there hasn’t been any adjustments to the gain or crossover, it could be a connection issue. Check for clean, tight power, ground and speaker connections. And check out the signal cables (RCA cables). If all that looks good, it’s possible that the inside of the amp is dusty/dirty. I’ve seen amps that put noise through the speakers with the slightest turn of the gain adjustment that was because of dust.

PeteD likes this.
  7. PeteD

Thank you. I should have said factory sub or rear speaker. The one I installed is fine. The one that came in the car not so much

8. M1dniterider

Ok. All the factory Bose stuff was long gone from mine when I got it, so I’m not super familiar with it. Could be that the woofer surround has deteriorated and come unglued from the cone or has holes in it. Don’t know if the Bose speakers had a foam or a rubber surround. If foam, I’d bet it’s shot.

PeteD likes this.
  9. PeteD

more than likely. Going to start tearing into it soon

10. Ron Morgan

If you want to keep it original... not a bad price. They are paper cones & foam surrounds.
    upload_2020-11-22_20-20-28.png #ad

11. PeteD

Not bad for new old stock