Help with tire chains...

Discussion in 'Z Lounge' started by msclman99, Feb 12, 2011.

1. msclman99

So I live in a city where it never snows. We are going to the mountains next weekend and wanted to take my 2010 Colorado but the owner's manual says not to use tire chains. Since I am somewhat new to this whole driving in the snow thing, what are my alternatives to chains? My truck is not 4x4 and isn't lowered so should I just bite the bullet and buy chains anyways? Any help is appreciated!!! :biggrin:

Tags:
  2. Jpack

Put some weight in the bed. Bring a shovel. Take it slow. Find a parking lot or somewhere safe and make the truck slide and get used to how it feels. Just remember that although sometimes taking off you will feel like superman....stopping is a different animal. Best advice i can give you, dont hit brakes while making a turn. Slow down before the turn while going straight, then let off and take the turn.

3. msclman99

lol, no chains or anything then? thanks for the advice!!!!

4. digi7al ph0enix Staff Alumni

Driving on snow and ice is a test of your ability to easy on and off the throttle and brakes more than anything. Once you get the basic feel for the conditions you are driving in you will know whether you should be driving where you are trying to or not. Tire chains are nice if you know how to drive in the conditions you are in to begin with, if not they are likely to get you killed due to over confidence.

5. BdNflnc

Just take it easy. Like was mentioned. Easy acceleration and easy braking. Like Jim said, DO NOT brake during a turn. That will lock up the front tires and put you into a slide. If you put 4 sand bags in the bed (right over the axle) you should have enough traction to do alright.

With deeper snow you need momentum to get through it, but with a truck like youve got, I wouldnt tackle anything too deep. haha
    Just dont get in a hurry, when you get rushed you will get impatient and goof up pretty quick!

6. greg_74

Like the guys have said weight in the back is key for traction. I think I have around 300 lbs in the back of my Silverado. As far as driving Jim gives good advice. To add to that just be careful and beware of the people around you. The part I hate the most when driving in the snow is stopping and other drivers haha.

As far as chains go the only thing I've driven with chains is a lawn mower used for plowing snow so idk what it'd be like on the road, but I would think it'd be weird and a rough ride.

7. msclman99

Thanks for all of the responses guys!

8. Spyderking69

if you have good tires, just add some weight to the bed.. Use something like bags of sand or really cheap cat litter. Put a shovel in and go for it. fi you get stuck dig out some and you can use the sand or cat littler to put down to help give traction,