Spray until the day...

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by myk, Jan 23, 2020.

1. myk

Hello everyone.

My '97 Z28 'Vert was just sent to the body shop to fix the rear-end damage from the accident that happened on my birthday, no less, but now I'm left to think about my '99 T/A also. Currently it has nose, bumper, sail panel and upper left door clear coat that is peeling and has gone down to the base coat.

The plan is to eventually send it in to the shop to get painted, but with a $6K minimum estimate I'd like to try spraying the car myself while I save the money for the real, professional job. Now, I've done the rattle-can dance and I don't care to do that again. I'm looking to spray the car with an HVLP system, and perform all of the prepping steps that go along with properly spraying car panels. The problem is, I don't know how to do any of these steps.

I've watched several youtube videos, read message board posts, and even manufacturer websites for paint and HPLV equipment, but there are so many varying techniques, steps and even equipment used that I'm lost in all of it.

I'm hoping that you guys can provide me with step by step instructions with equipment used, such as what grit sandpaper, chemicals, etc, or direct me to a website or something that can provide all of that information; but from a format and information that hopefully some of you guys have used and/or trust.

I am not expecting 100 point, concourse restoration results, but I just want the car to look decent until the day it can be professionally painted. Thanks in advance, I'll post the link to the HVLP system I'm considering:

Tags:
  2. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I think it would be a huge endeavor to do all that in one post even if it wasn't detailed. I bought the book "How To Paint Your Car" by Dennis Parks. I plan on using it this spring. Its very detailed with lots of pictures and step by steps. I've never done more than a panel before this. Wish I could tell you the entire procedure from experience, but I'm learning too. That book though is better than any web write up I"ve seen.

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

In the past when I had more time for questions like these, I would go through the motions.

Here is the short of it. Watch a few more vids on YouTube to glean a good understanding. I hate to say it, but stay away from the home DIY'ers as they are more concerned with getting their content out there than they are with showing you the right steps.

Find the video series from Eastwood TV and watch how Kevin Tetz does his work. He is one of the best in the business and knows how to build a show quality shine on a budget and show you how to do it.

Next, go to the junk yard and buy a scrap $25 fender from, whatever, and practice, practice, practice.

I myself am a PPG guy myself, I find it to be very forgiving and very easy to use, and their base coats blend very easily with minimal work. But practice with different materials, DuPont, RM, PPG, heck even Summit Racings branded paint, (I use that on my scale cars).

When you have built up a degree of confidence, you can plan your project and do the job the right way and not have to pay a shop, because in the end, what is the difference between you and a shop? NOTHING! You can buy tools and you can teach yourself how to do a quality job. Hell you are half way there with the want to do the job. Wanting to actually do it is half the battle, so you are already half way there. Now go practice and go paint that car and post your pics back!

4. IrocMyCamaroSS

Watch Marvin on his YouTube channel called SpraywayCustoms. He is by far the best auto painter I’ve ever seen. His videos are very detailed too. He may even answer any questions you have in the comment section. Good luck.

5. ceparker133

I used that that Fuji Semi-Pro system for my Cadillac STS front bumper. It turned out pretty good only thing is that if I was going to paint a whole car. I would get the system with the cup that is under the gun versus the cup that is above because it is bigger

Cadillac_Bumper.jpg #ad