Spohn suspension parts

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires and Suspension' started by matthuck88, Apr 23, 2020.

1. matthuck88

Last year at the Carlisle auto swap meet I bought a Spohn torque arm/crossmember and lower control arms. They supposedly were used but looked new. I paid $320 for all of it. They have the spherical rod ends, not what I wanted but for the price I thought what the heck! Now that I have the car back on the road I hate them! They make so much noise, clunk like a trackhoe that needs a repin. Maybe after my clutch is broken in and smooths out it will be better. Spohn does offer a Delran lined rod end that is supposed to be smoother and quieter, anyone have experience with them?

Tags:
  2. M1dniterider

Haven’t had my hands on those, but is it possible to remove to rod ends and replace with bushing ends? Just a thought, as I really don’t know. If so, might be worth calling Spohn. Is it rod ends on the torque arm and both ends of the LCA’s?

3. NastyZ

I think.... as far as the lca's you can swap out the rod ends..... they just screw in where the old ones were.

4. Roryh19

Rod ends are good for track use cars but can be annoying. Delran is the way to go if you want similar performance.
    As mentioned, is it possible to press out the rod ends and install the Delran? Similar to replacing a rubber bushing with a poly one.

5. NastyZ

Nah, they are way different. Spherical rod ends have a ball pivot that wont punch out.... the other end types with the rubber or poly mounts or whaever material.... are round steel chromally or whatever material.... prett sure they are chromally steel.

6. Roryh19

Good point the rod end is like the heim joint.

7. matthuck88

Spohn sells just the delron end for $50 each. Maybe I could do the two front connections to see if that helps

M1dniterider likes this.
  8. matthuck88

Both ends of the lca’s and the rear joints on the torque arm. The front of the torque arm has a special bearing type joint that I don’t know the name of.

9. NastyZ

Heim joint. ... However you spell it

10. M1dniterider

As mentioned earlier, rod ends are good for track/auto x cars, but a bit harsh for normal street use. No experience with the delron myself, but from what I’ve read, they seem to be a good choice.