My 1.5 Din To Double Din Conversion

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by cdoyle, Dec 4, 2014.

1. cdoyle

After all these years of having to settle for a single din stereo, I finally decided to see if I could convert the stock opening to a double din size.

I think the results came out pretty good!
    achris.caraudiocentral.net_Audio_Double_Din_before_after_resized.png #ad

If anyone wants to do it too, I created a tutorial on how to do this yourself. Overall, I would say this wasn't too difficult of a project.

Tags:
  2. Rick's Camaros

Very nice! I like it nice and clean look.

3. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Looks pretty good!

4. ZQuick

Its hard to tell from the picture. Does the texture on the paint you sprayed look and feel similar to what you'd expect from factory plastic textures?

5. cdoyle

Yes it's very close.
    It's hard to get a good shot, here are a couple more I had
    achris.caraudiocentral.net_Audio_Double_Din_installed3.jpg #ad

6. cdoyle

Thanks!
    This has been a project I've wanted to do for a very long time. I think it turned out pretty good on the first try.
    Someday, since I know what I'm doing now I might make another one to make it perfect.

7. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

If you don't mind me asking, what system did you go with? Honestly I know squat about them, and I'm considering an inexpensive double din unit to replace the factory unit in my wife's minivan.

8. cdoyle

Since I wasn't sure if this was going to be able to make this work or not I bought a used Kenwood DDX470 off of Ebay. Got it for like $150 I believe.

It's an OK unit, it allows me to stream Pandora and also have 4v preouts which is nice.

Someday, I'll upgrade to something better. I would love to have a unit that mirrors my phone screen on the stereo screen.