Slotted Brake Rotor Vibration

Discussion in 'All Non F-body Tech' started by 4thand26, Jul 25, 2015.

1. 4thand26

On 2 cars now I've noticed a slight vibration at low to moderate brake pressure. Both cars have had slotted rotors added to stock brakes. Any of youse guys seen or heard of this "issue". I don't think it is a major issue but wanted someone else to chime in.

2. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I've seen this happen before with them, slight warping that requires them to be turned. I run slotted on one of my vehicles, and though they tend to stay cooler than regular rotors (which is the whole point), once they do get baking hot then can warp sometimes easier than regular rotors due to less surface area holding them together.

The only solution to prevent it that I know of, and it's worked for me on the 2nd set, is getting the rotors cryo dipped (liquid nitrogen, then warming, then dipping, then warming again). The cycle hardens the metal without making it brittle. Some rotors you can get treated from the factory for a little extra, and some areas there are local shops who can do it.

The thing about turning them... not every shop can do it so call them and ask them if they have experience turning slotted rotors. Shops who don't know how to do it might chip the edges of the slots.

4thand26 likes this.
  3. 4thand26

Thanks Ken. My Vette has them and they are just a little noisy but they perform well and are smooth. I'm working on my brother-in-laws acura. Thanks for the info.

4. rattlecanz28

I've had a set of powerstop rotors slotted/drilled (cryo) on an 04 cavalier turbo'd, and ran it with EBC red stuff pads... had a hard time heating them up after that install