Removing Vinyl Decals

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by JinX, Oct 6, 2009.

1. JinX

I am trying to remove the vinyl strips from my Z28. They are very faded and very sun baked on. Does nayonehave any experience with this product? Wonder Wheel

Or if anyone has some suggestions as to a better removal technique I would like to hear it. The Goof Off Hair Dryer meathod will take a hundred years. :)

Thanks in advance,

JinX

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I use a heat gun to take them off. You have to be really careful on the plastic, but it will work. I would not use anything that "rubs" it off. You could damage your paint. One think that you can bet on is that the paint under the stripes will be a lot more shiney than the paint you see now.

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Use a hair dryer and work slowly, taking off six inch sections at a time. Are they factory stripes or ones that someone added on?

4. BlueZee28 Staff Alumni

I vote for a heat gun as well.

5. JinX

They are stripes that were added about 5 years ago. The car was not driven for about 8 months and the stripes just baked on the car. Every time I try to get a section it just crumbles and I only get an 8th of an inch or so.

-JinX

6. Z/YA

A friend of mine who runs a paint and body shop has a wonder wheel, and he uses it to take off old vinyl pin striping, and it works great and does not scratch.