Removing stains from rims

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Dawson, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Dawson

I've had these brown stains on my rims since I got my car and I've tried a few different cleaners to get it off with no luck. They are aluminum so I have to be careful which cleaners I use. Any ideas on how to get these stains off without ruining my rims?

Tags:
  2. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

For aluminum rims I've had very good luck with Mother's aluminum polish. It comes in a jar with cleaning pads in it. It does wonders with stains, I have some polished aluminum dress caps under the hood, one got a chemical stain on it. I put some of the Mother's on it, let it sit for about and hour then polished it.... looked good as new.

If you can get the tires off the wheels, once you have them looking new clear coat them and buff the clear coat after it dries. This will help stop oxidizing in the future.

3. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you sure your wheels are not clear coated? Find a spot that is not that noticeable and scratch it with something. If what comes off is clear, then this is a coating issue. If it's small pieces of aluminum, then do what Ken stated.

4. Dawson

Thanks for the tip, Ken. I've looked at Mother's line of products in the store before but I wasn't sure how well it was going to work. I did check to make sure that it wasn't an issue with the clear coat and either it had some on it at one point in time and now it's gone, or they just never had any on them. What brand clear coat do you recommend using after I get them look new again?

5. Captain Nice

If it gets dull over a period of time it is bare aluminum because aluminum oxidizes. If you rub Mothers on a tiny not so visible spot and a white cloth goes black it's bare aluminum. If the cloth stays white, the rim has been coated.

A few years ago, I ran out of Mothers and my wife suggested I try Bar Keeper's Friend. You will never go back, I promise you. It costs less, work faster with absolutely no elbow grease. But it will only work on bare aluminum, nothing else.

6. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Dragons Breath. It will break down the iron deposits.

7. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

8. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yup. Works great though. Another close second is Surf City Code Red. That stuff is also very good.