removing clear coat

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by JMann94z28, Jan 20, 2009.

1. JMann94z28

i'm sick of seeing condensation ruin my clear coat, its freckling up pretty bad on the passenger quarter panel, i got some 320 grit sand paper and it got the faded rougher clear coat off and smooth pretty good but on the quarter panel i need to do some sanding, my car will need to be re painted where the clear coat is gone and it is faded, but i figured i may be able to save a few bucks on the paint job if i do all the sanding myself, any pointers?

Tags:
  2. BdNflnc

Well... in theory you are right that you should be able to save some money by doing the sanding yourself. BUT you need to check with the shop that will be doing the work, because I know that several shops won't touch a car that has been prepped by the owner because they have no way of knowing how it was prepped or if it was prepped correctly. A lot of times they will go back over the entier car anyway just to be safe, so it doesn't end up saving much time in the long run. Also, some shops will go ahead and paint the car, but it usually doesn't come with a guarantee on the paint work, because if it starts peeling or blistering or anything there is no way to prove that it is their fault since they didn't prep it. Just check with the shop, they may be fine with it, and you could also ask them how they prep a car so you can do it the same way. Good luck man! :)

3. JMann94z28

yea i know what you mean,a friend of my brothers that painted his coronet, is the one that told me about getting the clear coat off, so i might get him to paint it, the quarter panel looks really good and its very smooth, there are few spots where i sanded through the paint but alot of the quarter panel was faded due to clear coat flaking off and dulling the paint,i'll post pictures tomorrow, i dont have any from before the sanding, but the whole panel was spotting,it even looks better than it did already, before it was ugly, now it looks like work in progress