radio shuts off when revving engine

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by camarolee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. camarolee

My radio will shut off only when the rpm 's get to about 1300. Other wise the radio works perfect. yes I checked all the connections

Tags:
  2. camarolee

anyone ? thinking might be the alternator causing the problem. It might be spiking at 1200 rpm to over 16v which is the radios limit

3. Zspoiler

Its usually some thing stupid. If you have another radio I would try that first.Then try one thing at a time.

4. camarolee

i could put the old radio back in and I do not know if it worked. I soldered all connections and shrink wrapped them. so it would be like doing to radio installs again.
    doing research and checking voltage I found my alternator was going between 13.8 to 15.1 which is a large fluctaction.
    I replaced the alternator and now is 14.2 to 14.6 which is much better.

I still have the problem ,but now the radio does not even turn on as before it did, but would shut off when I revved the engine.

If I turn my head lights on the radio will now work and it brings the voltage to 14. to 14.1 and so I assume the radio can not handle more than 14.2 v despite the fact the directions said it is from 11v-16v power source. they lied or the radio is defective.

i can put capaciters on the a.c.c. wire and power wire that only allow 12 volts but should I ? and are all new radios like this? seems to me a bad radio.

lmk what to u guys think

5. NastyZ

I know this is a bit late... but wer did ou originally hook the power wire into? I would test that circuit for continuity while reving the engine.... or test voltage look for fluxuations.

6. camarolee

2 places directly to battery for back up and to the acc. to key. i bypassed the acc. and had both directly to battery and it still did the same thing. seems like it can.v not handle the 14.2 volts or more

7. camarolee

poop car off and just run off battery and no problems.

8. mullettcar

volt dont matter the radio will only pull 12v

9. mullettcar

try reving from out side the car off the carb see if the radio stays on if it does you have something shorting by your gas pedal

10. camarolee

has nothing to to do with gas pedal. i did that. I think is is the radio is defective as it only does it when it receivs 14.2 volts or more.

11. mullettcar

the radio will only pull 12v you could put 10 batteries in your car and the radio will still only pull what it needs you have a different problem hook a test light or volt meter to the radio and see if you have power to the radio when you hit 1200 rpm

12. camarolee

i did all of that. i know the radio only pulls 12v . when the alternator charges above 14.2 the radio shuts off. it seems the radio malfunctions and can not handle up to 16v as advertised. anything under 14.2 and it is fine. I tested it at the radio with volt meter. That why when I rev the engine the radio gets more power going to it and shuts off. I tried 2 radios of the same brand and model and both do the same thing. I put a buck converter in and it seems to solve that problem , but now when I shut the car off it does not keep the memory in the radio. I might just have to adjust the buck converter a little so it gets enough voltage when car is not running but not to much that it goes over 14.2 when the car is running