radar detectors

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by Red Dragon Racing Team, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Red Dragon Racing Team

what states are radar detectors illegal to use?

Tags:
  2. PeteD

Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado and Washington D.C

Radar jammers are illegal in all 50

3. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

The states you listed are where LIDAR jammers are illegal.

For radar, detectors are illegal only in Virginia and Washingon DC.

4. PeteD

You are correct. I looked at the wrong list I had.

5. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

No problem. I only know it because I used to be into "counter measures" big time, even have a product I'm working on (but it's set aside right now because of other priorities). I have a detector, jammers, camera system and more. They are all hidden in the passenger compartment and have a remote shut off switch, plus they route through a louder speaker so I can hear them over the radio. :)

6. PeteD

LOL........Lot of work and time right there

7. RogerCamaro

I got into too them after an "encounter" with the po-po! That'll make anyone get into them lol

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  8. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Same here. But it was after more than one time for me (I'm hard headed). I finally figured out I was running on borrowed time. Funny thing is since those days, I hardly speed, lol.

9. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Back when I was running radar, even your detectors would not work. Sit somewhere and actually use my eyes to watch you. If I thought you were speeding, I would kick on the radar and before you had the chance to say Oh S***, I already had you. Waste your money if you will, they don't work against trained officers.

10. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

There's a way around that... you never speed unless you have a "rabbit". The rabbit is someone ahead of you speeding who flushes them out. When the rabbit gets tagged with radar, you're far enough back to slow down when your detector goes off. Even better when the rabbit has a detector because I carry a Bushnell sports K band radar gun* and if the rabbit gets too far ahead of me I blip it on for a second and they slow down, lol. :)

Also, out here on the backroads they still run "always on" K-band. Even with the hills here, I can pick them up about a mile away, sometimes more. You have to have a good detector though, with a lot of range, to get a hit long before they can see you.

On the backroads, with their always on radar, you have the advantage of curvey roads and the cosign effect works in your favor. Since you pick them up before they can get a straight-on reading they get a far lower reading even if they do manage to get a speed. For instance if you're doing 65 mph while you're driving towards them at a 45 degree angle, the cosign effect means they'll get a 46 mph reading. Plenty of time to slow down without the brakes (downshift) before they can read you head on.

http://copradar.com/chapts/chapt2/ch2d1.html Cosign effect and calculator

There are counter-measure groups on the Internet who have studied a lot of this, they even have meets where they bring radar and LIDAR (laser) guns to test their setups and techniques.

*One of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PY3R6UU/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    camarolee likes this.
  11. camarolee

lol. I was the rabbit a few times! , and I have known about that since I was 17. over 23 years. I was the rabbit last year doing 98 in my wifes'crosstrek. At my age I stopped caring about tickets. I found they are easy to plea down. For some reason I do not get pulled over a lot. Most of the time I am smart about it having a rabbit and not being one

12. NastyZ

Lol... i had an officer totally pull me over and lie to me about my speed.... after getting familly involved (police detective) my ticket disapeared

Tried to say i was doing a 140 in an 80..... i was in a clapped out 87 grand prix..... that at that time would be lucky to hit 120...down hill lmao.... truth be told i was doing 10 over...but to say 60 over. I was down right pissed off... i speed to get around someone... then mostly .... 10 over...about it...... maybe 5 over in he city

I would lovvve a radar detector. ...but they are illegal up here

13. camarolee

my ticket for 98 was up lake george n.y. on the north way on a down hill that i know they hang out at , but really did not care . I wanted to see how fast the Subaru would go. it was a early sat. morning with no one else around but the cop .

14. camarolee

i was doing 98